Thursday, May 23, 2013

God Loves Him Some Creek Time



These are the times that make everything worth while.
Phone call....
She is having surgery today...
Heart surgery.
She's been pondering baptism for some time.

Saved and living in a relationship with Jesus, the baptism thing has been heavy on her heart.
Now, with the surgery staring her in the face, she decided it was time.
"Can you baptize me?"
Can I baptize you? You bet I can.
Back and forth conversation to get a feel of where she was emotionally and spiritually.
She is ready.

Friends and family gathered at Rapha yesterday afternoon.
Storm clouds rolling in, looks like rain at the edge.
We make our way out to the creek. 
Read from Romans 6...Wind begins to pick up as I talk about the presence of God in our lives.
Prayer for her....
Going before the throne of mercy to find healing for her heart. Peace to her mind and comfort for the family.

Wayne Wimpee is my cohort in baptism.
We have done hundreds of them in this creek.
I never tire of making my way down the bank to the water.

Make shift steps keep us from falling, but it is still a precarious descent.

Taking my time, I inch out into the water because I know that since last year, the topography of the bottom has changed. There! The drop off. We are now waist deep. Even in late May, the water is ice cold. She asks for a moment to catch her breath and get acclimated to the temperature.

Prayer over her again...
Releasing her into the hands of her Savior, we lower her under the water, then bring her back up.
Grateful....

Joy.....
Complete....

Her husband is next. I have spent a lot of time with him.
Seen him at his worst....now here at his best.
Coming up out of the water, he latches onto me. Sobbing..."Thank you, Jesus...Thank you."

Young man from Kentucky.
Met God this past weekend.
Now his whole world has been turned inside out in a good kind of way.
God is good.


I feel the presence of my Grand father, Lewis Perry. 
How many baptisms did he perform?
How many creek banks did he climb down to find the water and the Lord?

Pastor for many years, He and I share a common heritage.
Every time I am standing there in that creek, I hear his voice and I feel his presence.

"You did good, boy...you did good."

After the baptism is over and everyone has made their way back up the bank, Wayne and I remain in the water.
We share prayers of gratitude that God would let us be a part of such a thing as baptism.
To me, such events are an incredible payday that God gives to us.
Never fails that friends and family thank us for performing the baptism.
"No...you don't understand. We thank you for letting us be a part," is our usual response.

Now, this morning as she prepares for her surgery, she rests in the knowledge that all the bases are covered and she stands fulfilled in the eyes of her Savior.

God on you...

mb

Be praying for this young lady.
Her name is Nicki.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...