Friday, May 31, 2013

Jesus People are now Jesus' People.



The Jesus People days...
Heady stuff, even now.
News reports on the major networks about what was happening on the West coast.

A revival of sorts.
No one wanted to call it that because it was so unusual. Little did they know that it was business as usual for God.
Darn that God...doing His work outside the walls of the traditional church.
Some traditional churches were forever transformed because they embraced what God was doing.

Kids getting saved....
Coffee houses that had music spilling out into the streets.
No one told us we couldn't play in the Kingdom. 
Babes learning how to "Do the Stuff" of Jesus.
You know, the Stuff?
Praying for sick people and see them healed....
Speaking to demonic spirits and see them leave people alone...come off of, come out of...come away from, only to be replaced by God's Holy Spirit.

God's church....His real, believing, living, giving away church cannot be defined by denomination or buildings. It is not bound by any agenda, except His, and is not driven by demographics. It exists and thrives in an atmosphere of worship. A people who are beat up, scarred, emotionally down trodden, but whose hearts are just crazy in love with Jesus. 

A people who go out into the market place, the work place, the schools and see hearts who are living misdirected lives. Or as it was so aptly put..."living lives of quiet desperation." Lives with an unquenchable thirst, looking for something that would quiet the demand to be quenched. So using drugs and alcohol quieted the voice temporary, but it came back with a vengeance...."Give me more!!!" And people  answered that hellish call.
The more they fed the voice, the deeper and deeper they spiraled out of control. 

Jude: Verse 21-23
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life And on some have compassion, making a distinction, but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, having even the garment defiled by the flesh.

It is the love of God that was awakened in my own heart back in 1968, that still burns today. Oh I still mess up and say things I shouldn't have. Listening to my flesh more than the Spirit, but God is quick to forgive me, and loving tell me, "Let's try it one more time, o.k." You see, that period of time back in the 60's when the Jesus movement was rolling wasn't just a fad. It wasn't the latest "in-thing" to hook into. It changed the heart of a generation, and the change is still evident today. We have grown older and hopefully a little wiser. We still find that our voice is still relevant and that we still have a story to tell, songs to write and worship to give. 

Funny part in all of this, sitting here at my computer this morning, in my mind, I still feel 18 - 19 years old. The body says different....snap,crackle and pop (that isn't a cereal...its' my bones). I pray that God will let me keep on until it's my time to exit this old world. Isn't that what Jesus would want from us? To fight the good fight? To run the good race? I think so.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...