Friday, May 3, 2013

Vineyard Recovery: It's A Place To Change

Opening Line to the Declaration we say at Rapha:
Because of Christ's redemption, I am a new creation of infinite worth.

There is an incredible benefit that affects every part of me if I receive the gift that comes from the work that Jesus did (his death and resurrection).
He has redeemed or bought back...
He has redeemed or reclaimed....
He had redeemed or payed for....

My salvation...
A new way to life.

He has ascribed to me a value that exceeds anything found in this world.
I am a new creation.
Not refurbished.
Not retooled...

Not restored...
I am brand, spanking, still-in-the-wrapper, new.

So if all of this has taken place, what's next?
If Jesus went to the cross and went through all the suffering, shame, pain and agony, what was it for?

Relationship!
The ability and incredible thrill of talking with, interacting with, getting to know on intimate levels, the one who has made it all possible. But out of this relationship and love affair between Jesus and me, I am made aware of the things that have been placed at my disposal in order to interact with this world (sin system and those still caught under the bondage of sin). 

First off, I have been given a helper...a comforter if you will to aid me, guide me and speak to me. That would be the Holy Spirit of God. Now, I can't explain how it all works...I just know that as I move through my day, I am constantly turning to the Holy Spirit asking for wisdom (he gives it), direction (he shows it) and courage (he fills me with it) so that I can make it. The Holy Spirit is the promise to us given to Jesus by His heavenly Father. Jesus then poured out on all flesh (Acts 2) this incredible POWER and presence that has changed countless millions and millions of people.

Overcoming addiction is found in the Power of God's Holy Spirit at work in you as He directs you through the disciplines of recovery.

You've tried it in your own strength and ability and it didn't work out to well. Oh you may have been able to sustain some semblance of sobriety for a period of time, but eventually you worn down and wore out and gave into the cravings to use again.

The Holy Spirit brings healing to my entire being when I surrender and turn will and life over to the care of God. It is in this ongoing healing that I learn how to live life in a new fashion and way.

This is the reason that Vineyard Recovery exists:
"God has created a place that is safe. A place where we can be ourselves free from any religiosity and pretense. A place where we can bring all our "wart's and scab's" to be healed.

I want Vineyard Recovery to be a place where we can fall in love with Jesus and with each other. A place where we can connect on a spiritual and social level. A place were we are learning how to live as a community of like minded believers. A place where Jesus is honored and worshiped. Where we can be a people who are honest and open about their struggles.....more important, a place where healing can be received from God for our own growth and maturity in Christ.


When the Word of God is taught, I want it to be done in such a way that what is heard by those present reveals a Word that is both practical and doable. A place where the Word of God is taught free from religious jargon and sermonizing. A place where the teaching makes Biblical sense and sounds so sane, so real to life that we actually begin see the value of applying to our own personal lives and situations.

As pastor of Vineyard Recovery, I am not here to give you a list of rules to keep. I'm not here to convince you to do anything. I am a part of a Saturday night gathering because I want you to meet my Jesus. The Jesus that changed my life. I want you to experience the reality....the right here...right now Jesus who loves you and wants a relationship with you. 

You want some truth? Here you go.
There isn't any  hurt so big that it lies beyond Jesus reach to heal.
There isn't any habit so ingrained and habitual in your life that He cannot break.
There isn't any hangup so firmly ingrained in your heart and in your mind, that His love cannot remove and smash it into a billion pieces.

This being said, I want to invite you....
No...I want to encourage you to come out tomorrow night and join us.
Vineyard Recovery / 7 p.m. /  
Downtown Gadsden on Broad Street, located between 4th and 5th streets.
Seth Barber will be sharing with us and if you haven't heard Seth before...well, let's just say Seth gets right to the point and heart of life with Jesus.


See you tomorrow night!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...