Friday, May 10, 2013

Why I Do What I Do




I am taken with some peoples concept of what a pastor is suppose to do, as opposed to what he really does.
I think because I have never been a pastor in a mainline denominational church, I'm not even sure what a pastor is suppose to do.
I know that according to Ephesians 4:12, I am to equip the saints for the work of service to the building up of the body of Christ.
The first thing that jumps out at me is that it's my call and duty to make sure that those under my care are prepared to go out and effect their surrounding for the Kingdom.

Really? That's what the call to pastor is all about?
Well....
Yes!
I want to see people who come to Vineyard Recovery go away with the idea that this Jesus we talk about, sing about and teach about is worthy to give up everything for.
I want people to fall head over heels in love with Jesus. For only by falling in love with Him can a person truly see the value in leaving all their "World" stuff to embrace His "Heaven" stuff.
But more than this, I want them to understand that there is a purpose and order to this call to live a new life in Christ.
Understand that the Holy Spirit that was given a place at the moment of salvation is there for a reason.
To empower me to be a witness.
Notice I didn't say to witness....but to be a witness.
Check it out in Acts 1:8 - "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you shall be my "WITNESSES" both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." Did you catch that? Be a witness...in other words, our lives and the way we do our business in front of people will lay the groundwork for them to hear what we have to say about this Jesus.

Now let's be realistic.....sharing and talking about what Jesus has done to us and for us is a part of this whole witnessing thing. Can't get away from it...but if my life doesn't reflect the truth of God and what Jesus has brought about in  changing me...then my words ring hollow. I'm simply acting religious and trying to schlup off  my views on some poor unsuspecting person.

What if you find yourself in a situation where you know God is setting up an opportunity for you to share your story, but the person you are talking with keeps complaining of being sick or having emotional problems. Maybe their going through a really dark, hard time in their family life. What do you do then? Plug away with your story and hope something happens? Or do you listen to what the Spirit is telling you and maybe take a chance (in the Kingdom I don't think the word "chance" is appropriate) in praying for them that God would heal them. If I have been called to do the works of service, then praying and seeing God work in another persons life would be the heart of living out this life Jesus has given to me. I would be "Doing The Works Of Jesus."  Keep in mind that I'm not (and neither are you) Jesus. But He did leave a mandate to us to  (1.) Go out  (2) Baptize and make disciples, or other followers who have gone goofy for Jesus, like we did..and :(3) Teach them to observe (that means do, not sit and watch) what we were taught. Well, I don't want to see people come to salvation and begin this incredible journey by sitting down on some church pew or padded seat waiting for the 2nd coming.

And I don't want to see a generation birthed who go and simply talk about Jesus. I want to see people who have fallen in love with Jesus, begin to move in the authority and power that is given to every believer. That through the exercise of this power and authority we can proclaim...."Your Kingdom Come..Your Will Be Done...Right Here In My Home Town....Right Now.

So why do I do what I do?
Because Jesus had redeemed my soul from the pit of emptiness...
How could I do anything less that give everything to Him.
How could I divide my love between this Jesus who gave everything to save me, and the things of this world which will fade away and be as dust.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...