Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gratitude---Don't Leave Home Without It


Psalm 110:7
But he himself will be refreshed from brooks along the way. He will be victorious.

I like the thought behind the Psalm 110 verse. Of being refreshed by hidden brooks and streams of water. Of having a thirst, searching for something to quench it, and then suddenly come upon a hidden source of water from which I can drink.

To me, gratitude is one of those streams. 
Gratitude cannot be measured by material gains and losses, although some try to do that.
Gratitude cannot be measured by how well your relationships with others may be, although some try to do that also.

Gratitude, in in purest form, is the appreciation for life itself.
For the ability to rise up in the mornings and draw breath, realizing that each breath...each heartbeat...is a gift from God to you. That is gratitude.


Gratitude will not let me be defined by my circumstances, but will give me vision to see beyond them.
I will not be weighed down by the affairs of this world, but will find gratitude in God's word.
Gratitude that tells me God truly is who He claims to be, and will do what He has promised He would do. Gratitude.

Gratitude will help me to live each day as though it were my last here on earth.
I will learn to love others with the love of God, when I walk in gratitude.
I will begin to see others around me as God sees them.
I will no longer be judgmental or critical of others. Holding them to a standard that even I cannot attain. Weighing out harsh words toward them. God forgive me.
Gratitude will produce real compassion in me for others. Not a false imitation of the compassion that Jesus felt when he walked among us.

Gratitude lets me cry out " You Kingdom come...right here, today, right now...Your Kingdom will be done through me. Let it be here on earth as it is being carried out in heaven!" Gratitude (the kind God desires of His children) can produce some pretty incredible results. How can you read the words of the Psalm and not see a man, King David, who rose from being a shepherd to become a military hero. From there to be the King of a nation, chose by God to rule. Yet through it all, David never lost sight that there was a King who ruled over him. Through out his life....through the dark seasons of sin....to the place where he stood in the mercy and grace of God, David never lost his gratitude. That is what I want. That is how I want to live.
Thank you, Lord, for this day...
I choose to be grateful.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...