Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Love You Lord...At Least I Think I Do



If you hang around the Internet long enough, you'll find that most theology has been boiled down to cute pictures of sunset's and rainbow's, along with a platitude meant to cause you to have a "Hmmmmm..." moment.

I guess the Internet has become the T-shirt of the 70's. Back in the old days, you would wear your theology on your chest. T-shirts espousing "One Way To Jesus!" or "Honk if you love the Lord"...
My personal favorite was worn by a good friend of mine, Richard Moon. It was a take off on the Gaither song, "He Touched Me." The shirt had a huge finger print on the front surrounded by the words....He Touched me.


I guess the problem for me, such attempts at drawing my attention usually just stirs my emotions and not my spirit. To me, the truth of God is something that reaches down inside and shakes you to the core.

The image above declares "I will love you Lord, with all my heart, with all my mind and with all my strength." Rather than breaking forth with an "AMEN!" I find myself asking, "Do I?" Do I really love the Lord or am I merely playing at this? I don't want my love for God to be shallow or ankle deep...I want to throw myself entirely into learning how to love Him. Some days I will get it right and it well be as easy as falling off the proverbial log. Other days will find me struggling just to love myself much less God. Embracing God's truth to learn about my own truth. To let the love and truth of God break down the religious walls of my construction. 

I am a work in progress.
Have I been saved? Yes. The evidence is found by the presence of God's Holy Spirit at work in me and in my life. Further evidence is found in the sheer fact that I am concerned about whether I love God as He deserves to be loved. You see, if I didn't have this relationship with Jesus...I sure wouldn't care about loving Him, now would I?

I guess the bottom line for me is that when I encounter one of these images with the religious platitude or thought, I need to look at my own life and ask, "Is this true for me?" Isn't that the heart of chasing this Jesus? Doing so through your failures and attitudes that just uncover stuff that we've been hiding. Now it's out in the open and we have the incredible opportunity to get it right..and get ourselves right. Then what?

Go out and live it...
Live it in the workplace...
Live it at the market....

Live it as you pay your water bill....
Live it at the Quick Shop...
Live it...


God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...