Friday, June 21, 2013

Shiw Me The Way To Go Home

John 14: 5-6
Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

I see it over and over with people in recovery.
"I am not going to read any Bible or Big Book."
"I am not going to church or any meetings."
"I am not going to do any of the disciplines required of me."
"Boy, I hope I can do this recovery thing."


How dumb it is that?
Basic premise is, "I have made a mess of my life and I have the track record to prove it. Now let me show you how good I can make it now that I'm a little sober."

To me, you can't be the problem and then turn around and be the solution also.
It just doesn't work.

What if all this God-stuff I post about every day actually worked?
What if it were true?
Wouldn't that be a hoot?
Well, it is a hoot.
In fact it is is a hoot to the millionth power.  Even beyond.
The point of entry is just like what Thomas told Jesus in the verses above.
"Hey....We don't know."
"Hey...I don't know."
"I don't know how to live any other way, other than the way I have lived."
"If there is going to be change for the better in my life, then you've got to show me how, Jesus."

In other words, there has to be this acknowledgement of being powerless.
Powerless to live life on life's terms.
Did you catch how Jesus responded to Thomas' question?
I love His answer.
He tells Thomas..."You need to stay focused on Me!"
Don't get caught up in the drama of your old life.
Don't listen to the council of your old friends or family.
Don't try and figure everything out yourself.
Focus on Jesus.
You want to know how to live and interact with the world around you?
Read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the New Testament.
Jesus not only came to die and make the payment for my sins...
He came to show me how to live in a world dominated by sin.

Jesus didn't say, "I am A truth" or "I am some truth" or even "I am one of many truth's."
No! He said, "I am THE truth."
Of all the truth that claims to be truth, there is no greater truth than the person of Jesus.
He is the beacon that leads us all home.
He is the path to follow that will see you through to the end.
He is the way....
He is the truth...
And He is the life.
Jesus.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow night at Vineyard Recovery.
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...