Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Addiction Train Wrecks


Romans 1:21-22
Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools.

The hard part of being in this recovery stuff is watching the self destruction of people.
To see them refuse to come to the knowledge and understanding of the truth about their situation. To watch them continue on that path to destruction, all the while trying to help them. A friend of mine told me one time, after dealing with an individual who was addicted, "You know, it shouldn't be this hard to help people!"  Wow, truth times ten...it shouldn't be this hard.


To me, it is the story of the rich, young ruler who came to Jesus all hyped up on religion. When confronted with the hard truth that God requires more than just going through some spiritual discipline, the young ruler walked away. The young man had checked off the list all the "to do's" that he thought was important. He neglected the "to be's". It was the change of heart and character that Jesus required. A giving of self to a new way of living, breathing, eating, sleeping and walking around. Jesus went right to the heart of this young man. "Go and sell all you have and give it to the poor, then come and follow me." The man could not. He was not willing to part with the comfort he'd found in this life. The very one he'd been looking for, the Messiah....the deliverer of Israel was standing right in front of him, telling what he needed to do and this man could not do it. He loved his comfort and position more than he desired to be saved. 

To someone in addiction, they want to call the shots when it comes to their life. They want to be the one who makes all the decisions that will affect them. Trouble is, their thinking has become muddled and their hearts darkened with the stain of sin. The twisted process of their thinking is what I refer to as "Addict-a-logic". It makes sense in the mind of the individual, but not to anyone else. Unless there is an intervention by the Spirit of God to this individual, there really isn't anything that can be done or said to them. Any attempt to reason will be met with resistance and twisted to fit the purpose of the one who needs help. All part of the train-wreck mentality that comes with the territory when your train is addiction. Example of addict-a-logic.
1.) I'm a user

2.) My using takes money
3.) I fall behind on my debt and my bills.
4.) I don't want to quit using
5.) I can't pay my bills.
6.) I decide that the easiest way for me to catch up on my bills is to gamble and win the big jackpot.
7.) I spend money I don't have to chase a pipe dream that will never come to fruition.
8.) I fall farther and farther behind.
9.) The depression and guilt and shame only fuels my addiction to use more.
10.) I jump the tracks and crash and burn.
11.) End of story - which usually includes either death, prison or some form of institutionalism. 

Sounds hopeless doesn't it?
Well, its not. And it is this daily battle that calls people to confront and pray and speak to the darkness that has become known as addiction. It is an opportunity to display the Power of God, the Higher Power the big book of A.A. speaks of, into the lives of those who are trapped.  Does everyone get it? No, they don't. But if we don't face this battle each day, then no one will. I'm telling you, there is nothing greater than when the Spirit of God awakens someone from their addiction and hope begins to grow in that individuals heart. You can watch the process move forward as time goes by. Every life does not have to be a train wreck waiting to happen. Some have found the Power and presence of Jesus, and have continued on down the tracks to their destination.


Funny to me that in the big book of A.A. there is a chapter entitled "There Is A Solution".
Do you think maybe I need to read that one?
Now that's some good stuff.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...