Friday, July 19, 2013

Final Score: God - 1....The Devil - 0


Psalm 51:6
Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden parts You will make me to know wisdom.

Truth is a powerful force especially when it's God's truth.
The young man sat in front of me, defiant and angry.
He had been sent to treatment instead of serving a jail sentence.
This was his opportunity to change and move on with his life.
Instead, his eyes were focused and ready to argue at the drop of a hat with anyone who would challenge him.

I've met others like him many times before, so I knew where this was leading.
Extending my hand, I introduced myself and told him I was glad he was in the program.

He refused to shake my hand. I was the enemy.
Self-proclaimed atheist, he was ready to do battle with anyone who brought God into the picture.
I wasn't about to challenge him.
But I did explain a couple of things to him.
1.) You chose us, we didn't choose you.
2.) We are a Christian / faith-based treatment center, therefore we are going to talk about Jesus.
I assured him I was not about to "Shove Jesus down his throat." Seems to be the term most used by atheist addicts. This whole "shoving Jesus" idea. Funny part, I never told him that I wouldn't direct Jesus to his heart. Forget about the throat, lets go for the real deal, the heart.

The young man was looking for a fight, so to speak. He was looking for someone to challenge him. I was there to simply love him. He never saw it coming.
During the 2 p.m. class, I began to teach about the power of sin/addiction and how the only solution to the lifestyle was not medical or psychological, but rather one of the heart.
The whole addiction process was the result of a broken relationship with Jesus Christ. Only he could put the pieces of our own destruction back together. Jesus is the great healer. He is the restorer of shattered lives. On and on I went, taking them through the Scriptures.  I knew that God was at work on this young man, that the Holy Spirit was probing and uncovering the very fabric of his heart.

I began to pray....
The young man began to cry.

God came.
Salvation!

He gave his life and will to God as he understood him.
That is the God I serve!
One that takes love and shatters walls and strongholds built by the devil and his kingdom of darkness.
I don't know what today will hold, but I would that you pray for this young man.

Pray protection over him, that he would grow in this new found way of life that has been given to him.

That God.....
He is something else, isn't he?

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...