Sunday, July 7, 2013

Solid As A Rock Are The Promises Of God


Seth Barber spoke at lasts nights meeting from Joshua chapter one.
The struggle of a man who was suddenly thrust into a leadership position, to take the nation of Hebrews into the place that God had promised to give them. They had left Egypt 40 years ago and now the entire group (except for two men) was comprised of those who had been born during the wanderings in the wilderness.

Seth spoke on the promises that had followed this group, given to them by God. You see, the entire trip from Egypt to this promised land was more than a story of a group of people who overcame some incredible odds. It was more than a group of people who saw God operate and demonstrate His goodness in ways no one had ever seen before. It was a God who remained faithful to His promises even when the people didn't. A faithful God working in an unfaithful people.

Seth wanted us to see that the things God has promised in His Scripture have not changed. He is still the same true, faithful God.
So what did God promise to Joshua?
Joshua 1:5 - No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you.

God tells Joshua "I will be an ever present force and presence in your life and in the life of this nation. I will be with you! I will not leave you. Now the funny part in all of this, God never said "You will never leave me", because down the road that is exactly what happened. Israel turned from following this God who keeps His promise, and turned to the god's of the nations that surrounded them. But even during this time, God never deserted them. He sent "His word" encouraging the people to return to Him. 

These promises about the nature and character of God are still in effect today.
He is still faithful in His ways and His words. I am the unstable part of this equation. I am easily drawn to the things of this world, and yet God lovingly calls me back under His promises. I am the one who takes side trips off the path God has laid out before me, to see what is over that hill or around that next bend, only to find myself out from under His grace. It is God who is faithful and calls me back.

So I guess the bottom line in all of this is:
1.) God is faithful
2.) I am not
3.) His promises are still "yes and amen".

That is why I don't take those side trips anymore.
He is the reason I don't let my love drift to the things of this world.
Because I know His word is true and His heart is for me. And His heart is for you also.


If you weren't able to attend last nights meeting of Vineyard Recovery, I'll have the audio message up at the later part of this coming week. Hope to see you.

God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...