Thursday, August 1, 2013

1900th Posting Of GSL


Ta Da!
Today is the 1900th posting to the Greene Street Letters.
I'm all about marking dates and remembering events and moments.
On the scale of human endeavor, this moment deserves a "What?" to it.
By that, I mean having 1900 postings is not earth shattering or worthy of being asked to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock exchange.
It just means that I have been consistent.
I never envisioned this blog going this long, or that I would post as much as I have.

I know, better than anyone else, that what I do here is very simple. I just want to share what God has shared with me or shown me. If it is an encouragement in any way.....If it strikes a chord in someones heart, then mission accomplished. If I have made you laugh, then Greene Street Letters has done what it was created to do.

Every now and then, I'll take a walk back through the archives of this blog and re-read some of my postings.
It's like going back through the family photo album (does anyone even have one of those anymore?). Some of the postings make me chuckle and think to myself, "Boy, why did you ever write that? What were you thinking?" If anything, I am able to chart and see my own growth as a believer. I remember times when I was angry and times when I was at peace. It really is like looking into a mirror and seeing myself, not as I want to, but as God sees me.

Sometimes I like to take numbers and find if there is any correlation in Scripture. Today is the 1900th posting, so I turned to page 1900 in my Bible. Landed on I Timothy 6. There on that page, underlined, I read verse 6: Now godliness with contentment is great gain. To filled with the very nature of God..His righteousness....His peace...His Grace....coupled with contentment is a richness the world cannot place in anyone. To be content, or to be o.k. with where you are at this time, is to be at peace with God and with yourself. Your circumstances and your situation may be in turmoil, but you are at peace, at rest with God. The world desires you to be discontented. How can I say that? All you have to do is look to advertising. The heart of what you see on Television or read on the Internet is that your life is "Incomplete" unless you have our product. You need the newer, bigger, faster, prettier product that we are selling. No! Godliness (which, by the way, is something only God can give) coupled with peace in the moment, is the thing of greatest value a person can have on this side of heaven.

To each of you who stop by the Greene Street Letters, thank you so much.
Who knows...maybe we'll do another 1900 postings.
God on you....
mb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These letters are a definite blessing and encouragement to me, even though I am a relative newcomer to them. Thank you for sharing what God has put on your heart. Speaking of contentment, I worked with a beautiful Christian woman whose husband had left her and I was questioning her (being nosey) about why she didn't date. She replied that she was content with not dating. Then she looked at me and said "you know, contentedness is a wonderful thing." I've never forgotten it.

Greene Street Letters said...

thank you for sharing your story. That is what I truly hopes happen here at GSL. People sharing their stories.

Bobby said...

Keep posting friend!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...