Thursday, August 15, 2013

One Generation To The Next


II Kings 23:37
And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his fathers had done.

"I'm not hurting anyone!"
"I won't bother you and you don't bother me!"
"It's a free country, I can do what I want to!"
How many times have I heard this from someone who was in flown blow addiction?
That is the nature of addiction. That is the nature of the beast.
Selfishness.....
Being self-centered.

Usually there are children involved with the one who is addicted.
Usually there is a wife or girlfriend involved in this nightmare.
But the person who is trapped can't see beyond their own nose.
They don't understand that they are affecting their children in such a way, that they too may wind up in similar circumstances.
It isn't something that a man sets out to do....teach his children how to use...how to get drunk or high.
But it is happens. 

Parents don't think or realize the damage that is done to the kids.
Many times the person who is an addict had parents that had the same problem.
The very ones we thought we there to take care of us and love us....didn't.
As a baby, they would spike a bottle of formula with whiskey so the baby would sleep and not cry.

They would give a toddler a beer to drink. Or even worse...it they were smoking weed, they would take the cardboard tube paper towels come on and blow the smoke into the face and mouth of their baby. To them it was funny to see a little kid drunk.

There was the man, in his 50's, whose mother had left him with his father because she didn't really want to be a parent. What did his father do? Took him down to a local service station where he knew men hung out, and placed him on a table. This man who was the father of this little boy, sold him for $25.00 to a stranger. He didn't want to be a father anymore, but he needed the money to get drunk. Is it any wonder that kids turn out like they do? 

I'm not saying every person in addiction has such a story, but they are few and far between.
Some are just rich kids that their parents have lavished on them everything but what they need.

Love and discipline. 

That is the beautiful part of seeing God work in the lives of these men and women. 
He possesses the ability and power to take any life and change it for the better.
To lay hold of all the pain and hurt. The bitterness and unforgiveness and change it to joy and peace. You see, I have a terrible problem with what I read about God in the Scriptures. What is my problem? Well, what I read is either completely true, or it's a lie. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just crazy enough to believe it's true.

Luke 1:37 - For with God nothing will be impossible.
There is no pit that addiction has knocked you into that God is not deeper still.
No darkness so deep that He cannot find you.
No doubt so strong that He cannot break through.

Now is the time to draw a line in the sand and say, "It stop here with me. This addiction will not be a part of my children's life."

God on you...
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...