Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Guise


Psalm 133:1-2
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head, running down on the beard, the beard of Aaron. Running down the edge of his garments.

At this point in my life, I am very grateful for the little tokens of love that God gives to me. Last night was one of those tokens. Last night, I got to stand on a stage and make music with some "brothers"....friends, if you will, and it was good. Oh the songs were a bit ragged and there were plenty of mistakes. But the collective heart of the group was right on.

Brook and David Finlayson, Ron Greer and Tim Rolf, along with yours truly played for First Friday downtown Gadsden. It was a reunion of THE GUISE. 

David and I began playing together back in 1983, did so under the name DREAMER. We played mostly David's material, because he was the better songwriter. I knew, even at that time, there was something special happening whenever we came together to sing and play. We had a sound that was uniquely us. All you have to do is listen to some of the old tapes to such songs as Where Are You Now?  If you throw David's quirky humor into the mix, you got a wonderful combination that seemed to draw people out whenever we played. 

Brook came along in 1988, and it all happened by accident. David and I were over at Brooks house one night and during the conversation,  the guitars came out and we began to share songs that we had either completed writing or were in the process of being completed. I remember the moment so well. David started playing a song written by his good friend, Arnie Sanford. He moved through the verse and as he got to a particular point, without anyone leading, Brook and I chimed in with harmony. When it happened, we just looked at each other. The harmony was tight and really good. IT was one of those "Ah-ha!" moments.  The rest is history.

Brook came up with the name The Guise, which I always thought was pretty cool. To me the basis for the group is simple. Brook is the real musician of the three of us. Talented beyond belief, he can take a guitar and make it speak to the heart. The lead part he plays on Jesus Know All About It, is still one of my most favorites.

David is the kite without a string. He has the ability to write such simple, yet profound, lyrics tying them all together with great chords. David's music is heart felt and draws from many different wells in his life. Family.....friends......life experiences....all forged together to bring forth these incredible melodies and songs.


Me? I'm kind of the spackling for the group. I can fill in wherever needed. That is the part I enjoy the most when I get together with those guys. Just being a part of something greater than myself. 

Many thanks to Ron Greer (Bass player) and Tim Rolf (Drummer extraordinaire) for joining us in our GUISE reunion. 

It's been 30 years since David and I started playing together. 25 since the three of us began. Yet last night, with every song we played, there was a freshness to the music. Maybe it's because we are all older and hopefully a little more seasoned. I don't know. I just know that I am filled with a gratefulness to God for allowing me to be a part of the Guise.
I think maybe we'll be playing a little more frequently that we have in the past.
That won't be a bad thing.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...