Monday, September 16, 2013

Farming 101


Hosea 8:7
They sow the wind, and reap the whirlwind. The stalk has no bud. It shall never produce meal. If it should produce, aliens would swallow it up.

So many people out there suffering.
So many folks out there hurting.
So many out there moving around in spiritual darkness, oblivious to the destruction they are bringing on themselves by the choices they make.

I heard story after story this weekend from people who are trapped and at the brink of ending it all. The one common denominator in every story was the rejection of God. The exercise of wanting to run their life they way they best saw fit to. They didn't want God to interfere with them. Now that they have run their own wagon in a ditch, they complain about how their life has turned out. They are bitter at others who aren't going through the same thing they currently are. I heard a lot of "Life's not fair!". To which I would say, "You're right life isn't fair. If it were, God never would have had to send Jesus to a cross to save me."

Hear me on this. I'm not saying that God would enter into a persons life and magically make all the wrong go away. He doesn't work like that. But with God in my life, me following Him, the decisions He helps me to make will begin to turn the tide of this self destruction. In essence, He will help me rebuild my life, clearing away the damage and rubble and history of bad choices.

Even with King David's repentance for the adulterous affair he had with Bathsheba, David suffered life long consequences for that bad choice. Yes, God is a God who will intervene on our behalf. Yes, God is a God who will work in us to change us so that we don't make these bad choices anymore.

I believe that through our bad choices, we open ourselves up to God giving us what we truly want in our hearts. Some might say that God allows a judgment to fall upon us when we reject Him. We might suffer through an economic judgment because our rejection of God has caused us to make really dumb choices with our money. For some, there is to much month left at the end of the money. Because of this choice, we turn to stealing or manipulating others to get what we need. What I have found to be true in my own life, is when I acknowledge God as my true portion in this life, He will provide for me and my family. I'm not saying that sacks of money fall from heaven, or a Brink's truck wrecks in my front yard spilling money all over my property. But I am saying that God is providing God who meets the needs of His children.

What I sow (plant) in my life is what I will harvest when the time is right. If I sow the rule and reign of God in my life, then I will harvest from the Kingdom of Heaven. If I plant from my own sinful, selfish desires, then I will reap a harvest of emptiness and a bumper crop of nothing.

You may be wondering about the picture in this morning posting. A brick wall with a heart that has been cracked. Truth be known, when we live our lives outside of God's heart and will, it breaks that heart. He does weep over us when we are selfish and reject His call to repentance and salvation. He is a God who truly loves His creation and desires only to have relationship with us. 

Take a look at your life.
How is that working out for you?
Maybe today is the day you make that turn from destruction to salvation.


God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...