Saturday, September 7, 2013

Making Music On First Friday


Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted to play music. I tried piano, but we just didn't get along too well. It was more like work than play. I thought that if the phrase people used was "Playing music"....then it should be like playing. I didn't realize that some use the term "making" music. That sounds too much like work to me.

Anyway, 1964 came and with it the Beatles. I remember watching them play....then watching the girls scream....watching them play...screaming girls....guitars and screaming girls. To a thirteen year old boy...it wasn't rocket science to see the combination of guitar and screaming girls. Looking in the mirror at my frame and face, I quickly knew that I needed a guitar.

Now 49 years down the road from that fateful equation of guitar and screaming girls....I've gotten a little better at this music thing than when I started. Early learning days involved sitting with a 45 rpm or a 33 and 1/3 lp listening and trying to copy what I heard. many many hours of such behavior. But it provided an ear that could pick up harmonies and chords just by listening. This would serve me well latter on.

Last night was a present of sorts from God.
Debbie Handy had approached me about our worship band from Vineyard Recovery playing for First Friday in downtown Gadsden. She wanted us to do all our "Take-back " songs. Secular songs that we'd taken back, changing a word here and there to make them worship songs. Sounded like a good idea to me. I just wasn't sure how many songs we had. My way of thinking I would have said 25 or 30. Turns out we had over almost 90 songs. So last night we opened the doors of Gadsden Vineyard, set up tables and chairs, gave away free ice-cold bottled water and the folks streamed in. Many looking for a place to sit down and eat their food.


So as we began to play, I truly realized that this evening was a gift from my heavenly Father. He has allowed me to play with some pretty incredible people, making some pretty good music.

We played for 3 hours, covering such songs as Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey, Hold on by Sam and Dave, Come Together by the Beatles, Taking Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive and many, many others. 

Sitting here this morning, I am totally tired (still) yet there is a satisfaction and contentment deep, deep inside me. Music does that to me. Music is a vehicle in which I find the presence of God faster than any other way. I hear God more clearly when I am worshiping. It is easier for me to follow the Holy Spirit when I am playing and singing. I know for some this may be a strange concept, but what I am writing is something that has served me well for the last 30 years. 

Last night wasn't a performance. We are not professional musicians, we just love to play and God has given us a modicum of grace to do so. I am grateful for my current friends who are on this musical trek with me. Debbie Handy on keyboards and vocals, Barry Hooks on guitar, and Wayne Wimpee on percussion/ harmonica/ and vocals. Let's do it again...........what'd you say?

Also many thanks to Carrie Elrod for the picture of the band.
God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...