Sunday, October 27, 2013

2 More Years And I CAN Sing That Beatles Song


Psalm 121:2
My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.

Well Gilligan.....
We are in uncharted waters.
Never been here before and not sure how to read the seas, but I'll press on and hope we don't have an end to this three-hour tour.
What am I talking about?
Well, yesterday was my birthday. Turned 62. Never been 62 before. But then again I was never 61 either. But God gave me a whole year to learn how. How to deal with all the "61" issues that I would have to face. Hopefully during the year, I gleaned some wisdom and grew in Christ. Hate to think I wasted a whole year and didn't learn anything.

62----
Feels strange in my mouth when I say it. But the mirror doesn't lie. Wrinkles, gray beard, no hair. No wait...I haven't had hair since Truman was in office. At an age when some are retired or looking forward to retirement, I am excited about where God is leading Vicki and me. Since returning to Vineyard to start the Recovery Church, we have been renewed in our spirit's. There is an excitement on Saturday's as we take care of the chores and head toward 7 p.m. Excitement because we are expecting God to come and reveal himself. Be it through the teaching of His word, the worship or during ministry time. We hold the meeting and the evening very loosely to allow Him to do whatever is on His heart. I guess you could call Vineyard Recovery Church a place and a people of expectancy. 


Last night was no different.
Lot's of visitor's. We now have a steady contingency from the Center Of Hope, a treatment facility in Anniston, who come on Saturday nights. But no matter where they come from, our prayer and desire is to love them and make sure they get what they need while they are with us. As I heard it said before by a young boy trying to explain what his church believes...."We love Jesus............We love people who love Jesus........and we love people who don't love Jesus." I think that pretty well sums it up for us a community of believer's. We want to love above everything else that is deemed important in a church. Not love as the world does, but with the heart and nature of our Father in heaven. That kind of love makes a difference.

Jason Knight shared his journey story last night and it was incredible.
Such is why we felt God call us to start Vineyard Recovery Church.
That it would be a place where everyone is important and has a part and role to occupy in the Kingdom of God. 
As Jason stood and talked of how God led him through all the destruction of his bad choices, I couldn't help but think back on what he was sharing. I met Jason through Rapha and spent a lot of time with him. He was ready to change and was willing to go to great lengths to leave the past behind. Now, last night, standing there telling of his journey, I thought to myself, "Here is living, breathing proof of the goodness of God." You did good God!

Now back to being 62. You may not get the title to today's posting.
"2 more years and I CAN sing that Beatles song".
That would be Paul McCartney's "WHEN I'M 64".
Actually been singing this song since 1967...
Never really considered the fact that I'd be around to actually be that age.
But hey....bonus. Right?
I love this time in my life and wouldn't go back for all the tea in China.

"Thank you for saving me, Lord."
"And thank you for my family."

"I really do like 62, Father, and I think it fits me pretty well."

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...