Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Catching The Fire Back In 1998


II Timothy 1:6
That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the ember of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the (gracious) gift of God, (the inner fire) that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands (along with the elders).

Every year during this particular week, I am reminded of a time when the direction of my life changed. It was October of 1998 and I had been two months into full time ministry. The church had turned the morning service over to Vicki and me, and we were like two kids on Christmas morning. Gadsden Vineyard Church had been experiencing a visitation of the Spirit of God for almost 4 years at this point. Every Sunday was an explosion of God's presence as He would come and people would respond. It was a heady time to be a part of this fellowship. Several in the leadership of the church had gone to Toronto to be a part of the ongoing revival that had begun in January of 1994. They had come back changed and alive for Christ. Church had taken on an identity of transparency and a realness that did not want any part of religion or religious traditions. By that, I mean we were hungry just to be with God, to worship Him. There was a sense of God moving in our midst at every meeting. I remember when the first group had come back from Toronto and were sharing their stories, I was offended in my mind. Notice I said I was offended in my mind....my spirit was stirred. I was in conflict because what they were sharing was unlike anything I'd ever heard or seen. "Surely God would not act this way!" I thought to myself. Sometimes God will offend our minds so that our heart will receive what the Spirit is telling us. Time and God won out and as I searched the Scriptures and spent time in prayer, I saw the hand of God on what was happening around me.

So in September of 1998, I was approached by the church and given the offer to travel to Toronto. They felt like it would be beneficial to me to go and experience what God was doing there. I agreed. Now during this time, God had lead me to Rapha and I was merely a volunteer there. I was leading worship in the morning devotional for the men. I was feeling a tug to be more of a part of what was happening there. Little did I know that Toronto would be the seed bed for what God was going to do.

I was excited about the trip......
And I did not want to take the trip....

I am not an adventurer and, in fact, had much rather stay around familiar territory than to go traipsing off to the great North.
Days before the I was scheduled to fly to Toronto, I came under attack by the enemy which kind of shot the flags up to show me that this was an important trip.

I got sick....I mean sick/sick.
On Saturday before I was to leave on Monday I came down with some kind of crud that knocked me for a loop. I remember running a fever, shakes....felt like I had been beaten with a bag full of squirrels. At one point I remember lying in the bed praying, God you've got to do something....either heal me or kill me one....I've got to have some relief. Also the stay at home part of me was kind of snickering.."See! You won't have to take this trip." I am grateful that I have some incredible brothers and sisters in Christ, because they loaded up and came to my home to pray God's healing on me.  That was on Sunday.

Monday morning found me sitting in the Birmingham Airport waiting for my flight. I wasn't a 100% but the healing had begun and by the time I reached Toronto, all signs of the sickness were gone. I knew then that God had a purpose for me being here. 
I wonder what it would be?

More tomorrow......
God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...