Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Safety Glasses In The Driveway



Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

I was up early this morning, driving into to town to clean the office (been cleaning the same office for nigh on 22 years).  Had my trusty mp3 player loaded with teaching and worship music.  For some reason, while I was at Rapha last night, I had transposed a cassette tape of one of our House of Blue meetings to digital and then loaded that on my player. It was a service from July of 2000. 

During the worship set, a song began to play...one I had not heard in years. What's even more strange is that I wrote the song. For some reason this was the only time we'd ever played this particular song. No matter...I think God had chosen that tape for me to transpose so I could hear this song. 

The song is about coming into the literal presence of Jesus, as if we were in heaven. As the words were sung, in my mind I kept asking, "What will it really be like? What will it be like to stand before the real, deal Jesus and look into his eyes?" To hear the voice that we've only dreamed of. What would he sound like. Would it be as the Bible describes the voice of God as one that shakes the pillars of heaven? Or would it be a soft, gentle sound that goes beyond our ears and moves down into the very core of who we are?

I've been thinking a lot about Jesus lately. You might say I've been home sick. How can you be home sick for a place you've never been? I think salvation creates some spiritual DNA that ties you to the presence of Jesus and the place he resides, heaven. 

The Matthew 5:8 verse has been huge for me over the past week.
Use to, I'd read that verse and see where I needed to be pure in heart.
What would I do? Set out to get myself pure. Read my Bible more. Pray more. Worship more. Tithe more. Share my story more. Did it make me more pure? Nope. Just tired.
Pure in heart are those who have and continue to surrender will and life over to his care.
It is his purity in me that makes me pure. Not my endless list of do's and don't. 

I guess the bottom line to all of this, I want to see Jesus.
I want to see him here, on this world. I want to see him everywhere I go.
And I want to see him in heaven.
I want to experience his presence. Not so I can put the bumper sticker on my car..."Jesus And I Are Tight!" But because it is the desire of his heart to be with me. I am his creation.
I am an image bearer of the Holy Trinity..Created in their image.

Who wouldn't want to experience that?

I want to share with you something that has just happened.
My wife had just pulled out to head for work, when she called me.
She asked what this morning's Greene Street Letter was about, and I told her it was about "Seeing Jesus".
She began to laugh. "You need to go out and look at what is at the end of our driveway."

So I did.
There, on the ground was a pair of glasses. Safety glasses.

Seeing Jesus....
Glasses....
I think maybe God was telling us something.
He truly wants us to see him.

But we can't see him with our own fleshly, sinful eyes....
We have to have something to aid in our vision, just like the safety glasses.
The Holy Spirit becomes the safety glasses that empower us to see Christ.

Thank you for that show and tell this morning Lord.

God on you....

Thanks for stopping by the Greene Street Letters.
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...