Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Real Superman


John 2:7-8
Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water." So they filled them up to the brim. Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."

Jesus was incredible was he not?
He had the ability (power and authority) to alter matter.
He could simply speak and elements would increase, or they would be changed into something totally new.
In the case of the verses in John 2, a wedding was going on. Wine was a part of the celebration and in this case, someone forgot to inventory how much was needed. The hosts were running out. To have this happen was the most embarrassing of situations a person could face. So what did Jesus do? Told the servants to fill up some urns with water. Six urns and the capacity of each one was estimated to be between 20 and 30 gallons. That is at least 120 and could have been 180 gallons of water.

Somewhere along the way between the filling and the talking....Jesus altered the molecular structure of the water and turned it into wine. Not the cheap stuff either. His authority and power went down to the atomic level of matter and changed it. Hard to wrap my head around that one.

Then there was the matter of feeding 5,000 plus people with a Happy Meal. To be honest, it was 5 biscuits and 2 fish sticks.  I mean, come on! How can you even look at that meager portion of food and then look at that crowd and declare, "Well, we've got enough here."?
But that is what Jesus did.
He took the fish and bread.
He broke them (like that was going to make it go farther)....No, all blessing come to a place of brokenness in our lives. We can't be blessed until we are broken and ready to receive.

He blessed the food.
Then He distributed it among the disciples to be passed out.
Here again, Jesus goes right to the atomic level of matter. Only this time, he isn't going to change it as much as he is multiply it. If I remember correctly, my early science teachings told me that matter can neither be created or destroyed. I think maybe Jesus messed all that up when the fish and bread was created and multiplied to feed the multitude. That Jesus! He'll get all up in some science and mess it up, won't he?

Why all the "matter" talk this morning?
Because if Jesus can do that with water and bread and fish.....
Imagine what he can do with me.
Imagine what he can do with addiction.

If this Jesus can command all the way down to the atomic level....I am certain he can speak into my heart and work a new work.
I'm sure he can move attitudes and thoughts and behaviors by the introduction of the Holy Spirit into my miserable existence, putting me on the path to a new way of living and doing business with the world. That's my Jesus!

As Larry Norman sang----"Why don't you check into Jesus...he's got the answers."

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...