Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Free-dumb.....or Freedom?


Galatians 5:1
Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.

He shows up at my door. So thin, his back pockets are touching. Eyes sunken in. His skin covered in sores. Yet, to his estimation, "I'm doing o.k."
He spoke of all the rejection he has experienced from family and friends. Yet turns around and begins to share about all these new friends he has. Friends who share his same experience. "They really care about me", he told me.

The words said one thing, his very physical appearance said another. The two did not match up. He went on to tell me about the number of arrests he had experienced and how the judges and police have it in for him. Bottom line in this conversation was "I just want to be free and left alone." Now to this man, "being free" meant that he should be allowed to do what he wanted to do. To make all the wrong choices, even though he didn't see it this way, and not be hasseled by anyone. That was real freedom to his mind. He had even gone as far as bringing in that tired old argument, "I'm not hurting anyone." Well, he might not have been hurting anyone, but he sure had become the center of attention and was taking up everyone's time. As a friend of mine put it, when referring to the mindset of someone in addiction, "They become little black holes of endless need."  Truth is, they really aren't hurting anyone.....they are hurting everyone. And when they say, "I don't need no on",what they really mean is "I need everyone to enable me to continue in this old lifestyle."

From my understanding of addiction, and what the Bible has to say on the subject of freedom, it is clear to me that we all are under bondage. Since that little "fruit" incident in the garden of Eden, there has been no "natural" freedom. It is only through the Grace of God's intervention in our lives, that we can detach ourselves and receive true freedom from the behavior and consequences of our old, addictive, lifestyle.

Think on these things today......
Are you truly free? Or are you still bound up in bondage to sin?
God does love you and desires for you to experience true freedom.

God on you.....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...