Thursday, November 7, 2013

God And P.F. Flyers.


Luke 1:37
For with God nothing will be impossible.

There use to be a rite of passage that took place every spring as I was growing up.
It involved the purchasing of a pair of tennis shoes. The first new pair of the year. Back then, tennis shoes were your primary source of footwear. They were what my mother use to call "Your rough housing shoes". In other words, they weren't your Sunday-go-to-meeting shoes.

It was a major event to go to town and pick out that first pair of tennis shoes as spring was approaching. Why? Because of all the possibilities. Unlike today, the selection of shoes, during my growing up days, was limited to two different brands. KEDS and P.F. FLYERS.  

As a boy, I wanted a pair of P.F. Flyers bad. Again, you may be asking, "What's so important about P.F. Flyers?" You had to have seen the advertising that accompanied these winged wonders. If you were the luck owner of  P.F. Flyers, then you could run faster...you could jump higher...you could do thing that were never possible before. In other words, these wonderful sneakers were the answer to all my problems that I faced within my circle of friends. I would no longer finish last in any footrace. I would streak by whoever was trying cover me when we played football. I would be able to beat the throw to home and score the winning run. After all, the man on the commercial said I would...didn't he?

There in that magical place known as "The Shoe Store"...a man would step into the back room (heaven knows what magic existed in that place), and come back bearing the box that contained my size of shoe. He would remove the lid carefully from the box and there, wrapped in white tissue paper, were those magical shoes.....P.F. Flyers.
First the right foot.....lace them up....tie them tight.
Then the left.....

You could just feel the energy flowing as you walked around the store so your mother could see how they looked and fit.
You were now ready to face the world, because with those shoes on your feet....nothing was impossible.

Of course we now know that P.F. Flyers was no different from "Joe Schmoe's' Tennis shoes. You may be asking why I chose to write about this topic. Well, the verse from Luke Chapter one pretty much sums it up.
Like the advertising for P.F. Flyers....Luke tells us that nothing will be impossible for God to accomplish in our lives. Unlike P.F. Flyers...God is able to back up His "advertising." 

You see the problem I face is this.....
Either the word of God is true....
Or it isn't.

Well, I just happen to fall into the category that it is true.
Nothing will be impossible for God to accomplish or carry out, or bring forth, or create, or make happen, or just plain show off that He truly is the God of the Bible. There----I said it.
As much as I wanted that pair of P.F. Flyers....
I want God more.
Who could ask for anything else?
Thank you, Father that you have truth in advertising when it comes to Your word and Your promises.


God on you this rainy morning.
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...