Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Recovery Has A Face



Psalm 80:3
Restore us, O God! Cause Your face to shine and we shall be saved!

The room was filled with people.
Food was great....
Conversation was pleasant and cordial.

But everyone knew why we had gathered last night.
We had come together to CELEBRATE RECOVERY.
A banquet to share with others who might not have really known what Celebrate Recovery was all about.

When I close my eyes and try to visualize what Celebrate Recovery looks like, I always see faces, because CR is about faces. 
I see Elmo.
No one would have given him a chance. Local drug dealer. Mean streak a mile wide. Hard and not caring, but here he was on this night, dressed up and a huge smile on his face.
His life completely turned around. You see, Elmo had an encounter with Jesus and thing were never the same. Now Elmo is plugged into Celebrate Recovery because it is a place he can give back to others. 

I see Jessica.
How could you not feel good when you get around her. Always smiling with a smile that would light up the darkest room. But the smile comes from a heart of gratitude for what Christ has done for her. She was saved from the total destruction that addiction always ends with. But on this night, she is radiant with joy and gratitude. When I look at Jessica, I see Jesus.

I see Garrett.
Young, rebellious, thinking he was smarter than everyone else, but like everyone in addiction, he too was headed down that slippery slope to death, jail or institution.
But on this night, he had come to support Celebrate Recovery. God put it on Garrett's heart to start a meeting for young people. Known as the VIBE, it attracts kids from all over the county to hear the truth about drugs and alcohol and to have an encounter with Jesus Christ. Most people would have pushed Garrett aside, written him off as being no good. But not Jesus. Jesus knew what was in the heart of this young man and He knew that only He had the power to bring it out and  make it real.


I see Nick.
Older. Been at it longer than some. But he too ran into Jesus and a system of steps that put purpose and guidance into his life. Nick has a heart as big as all outdoor's for those still trapped in addiction. He is more than ready and willing to help anyone who wants help. Nick truly walks out Step# 12 daily. God has birthed a no-nonsense kind of guy in Nick. Like the others, Nick shines in his love for Christ.

Last but not least, I see Seth.
He is the one God tapped to lead this particular Celebrate Recovery. As he moved around the room talking with various people, I thought back to the first time I met him. He was coming from jail to begin the program at Rapha. Little did I know then, nor could I have ever dreamed that this would be a young man that God took off the garbage pile of addiction, and would use to lead a Celebrate Recovery. But like the others, God knew what was in Seth's heart. He knew that Seth would have a tremendous love for those who were addicted. He  knew that Seth's personality would be a perfect fit for a leader's role in His kingdom.  Why? Because Seth is a servant. You see, with Seth it really isn't about him, it's about "What can I do to save this guy or girl?"

It was a good night last night.
I went away with a heart of gratitude for how big our God is and what He is capable of doing.
Give us more, Lord!
Bring in all of those that no one wants to be around.
Bring us all of the throw-away's and the rejects.
Fill us with you love so we can love them.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...