Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013


Psalm 100:4
Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him and praise His name.

Thanksgiving 2013...
One more in a long line that I have participated in.

I woke up this morning with the line from the movie "It's A Wonderful Life" in my head.
"Here's to George Bailey...the richest man in Bedford Falls."

I am George Bailey on this day.
I am rich beyond belief and when I stop to consider all that has been afforded to me by my Father in heaven....I am overcome.

Oh, the bank account is laughable.....
The house needs work.....

Our vehicles are getting on up in years....
But the riches that we possess are beyond description.
First off.....my family.
I stand back at times, when we are all gathered together, trying to take in the whole scene.
My two sons, now grown, laughing and still challenging each other. Barbs and jokes thrown back and forth, but covering all the chatter.....love for each other.
Over the years, they have been each others champion. They have celebrated the accomplishments that each have overcome to get where they are. They have been there for each other when things didn't turn out like they were planned.

My two daughters-in-law. You know, I hate that term, daughters-in-law. Too me, they are my daughters. Both godly women. Both striving to be all God created them to be. Full of joy and in love with their husbands, who could ask for anything more. They are at a point in their lives where stability is important and I am grateful to God that He is their rock and stable place.

God has given us two grand children.
Talk about spicing things up, God knew that as we grew older, we were in need of something to kind of shake things up. Such is the call and way of grand children. I never will forget the birth of our first grand child. Vicki, sitting there holding Tyler....amazed at this little wonder that had been deposited into our family. She turned to me and said, "I never knew I could love another woman's baby like I do this one." We laughed and cried at his birth, as we realized that God had made another deposit in our "bank account".


Later, a second grand child would be added to the account, Ashley. Our family had not know the joy of having a "little girl". We do now. Ashley is a stream of consciousness on two legs. In other words, if it's in her head...it's flowing out of her mouth.

Josh and Heather are in Ohio on this thanksgiving day to celebrate with her family.
Chad, Robin, Tyler and Ashley will be going to her parents house for the noon time meal, but will be coming by here later for 2nd's.

My brother Wayne and Sue, his wife, will be coming over in the evening for pie and coffee. And if I know my brother.......more 2nds.
Through it all, my wife will be the consummate host and cook. She will pour out a spread that would rival any 5 star restaurant.
There will be tons of food...
There will be much conversation filled with the phrase, "Hey, do you remember when....."

Memories will be served up on platters of love for all to feast on.
And at the end of this day, my wife and I will lay our heads down safe and secure in the knowledge of the love that we have for each other.........and in the love our Father in heaven has for us.

Like I said, "I'm the richest man in Bedford Falls."

Happy Thanksgiving....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Happy Thanksgiving,MB!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...