Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Heart Of Mary


Christmas season has begun.
Usually when someone refers to the "Christmas Season," they mean the retail side of the celebration. People are shopping and the stores are crazy. In some cases, we see the real side of people as greed and anger come out on those Black Friday's.

As the years have passed, I find myself looking to the reality of the Christmas Story. The fact that God's timing was at work. The picking of Joseph and Mary to be the caretakers and parents of His Son, Jesus. That these two young people were on the verge of forging a life for themselves. You know they had hopes and dreams of a life together. But God had different plans. On the surface, this doesn't look like a good thing, does it? Mary...young....a virgin...was visited by God's messenger to announce to her that she, above all women, had been picked by God to receive the Holy Seed that would allow God to have a human body.  She would give birth to a baby that was fully God and fully man. This baby would grow to become the ultimate sacrifice by giving His own life to pay the sin debt that humanity was under.

Never mind that her pregnancy would come before she and Joseph were married. Never mind that she would become the center of conversation as tongues would wag and fingers would point as to what a harlot she was. Pregnant before she was married. She would become the source of ridicule and gossip. If I were a woman, would I be able to accept this plan that God had presented to Mary? This wasn't a mental exercise of faith...this was a get-down-into-your-business call to obedience.

The words that Mary said after the angel had laid out God's plans still, to this day, strike my heart with such force that I am undone.
The most unselfish act anyone, any where could do before God.
"Let it be to me according to Your word."
In other words, I lay aside my life and my plans and place them in Your hands, Lord.
You do to me according to what You have spoken.
Oh that I could grasp not just the meaning of what Mary said, but have a heart that reflects this.

To me, this is the heart of the life of one who claims to be a follower of Jesus.
My life no longer matters....
My plans are of no importance....

DO to me as You will, Lord. I become Your vessel. I become Your servant.
No wonder God the Father chose this young girl to be the mother of Jesus.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not elevating Mary to some ethereal position above others.
But at the same time, I don't believe she gets her due either.


So during this Christmas Season, re-read the Story.
Read it like these were real people ( because they are) Read it with the perspective of placing yourself in Joseph and Mary's situation. What would you have done had God visited You with this incredible news?

Jesus....
He is why I celebrate.


God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...