Saturday, November 16, 2013

This Is One Of His Most Favorite Things



Does God have favorite's?
Are there certain things that He truly enjoys, or is His joy found in the completeness of His creation?
I know that what I am about to write may not fit into some theology, but I do believe there is something to it.
Take for instance, cities.
We know that He has an incredible love for Jerusalem.
It has been, and continues to be the center of man's attention, whether the intention is right or wrong. I truly believe that God loves the city of Jerusalem.


I think maybe God likes water. He did create a whole bunch of it, didn't He.
Jesus was always hanging out around water. Sea of Galilee. Jordan River. A well in Samaria where He had an appointment with an outcast woman. Jesus at the Temple, pouring out the drink offering. Jesus walking on the water. Jesus telling Peter to get out of the boat and go for a stroll with Him. God likes water. Part of me still can't figure out why we named it "earth" and not "water." I guess it's not up to me to figure that one out.


I know that God loves music. So with that in mind, I truly believe that God even has a favorite song that stirs His heart.
That song would be Amazing Grace. It doesn't matter who is playing it or singing it, God moves on people when they hear this song. It is an anthem to His love for a fallen race and the power He desires to pour out on them to draw them into salvation and a relationship with Him.


Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound......
You hear it with your heart, even though your ears are capturing the sound.

The very idea that this "amazing grace" is offered to me is beyond my scope of reason and understanding.
You can't explain it, so you just stand there dumbfounded and receive from the goodness of God's grace. 


That saved a wretch like me......
Not a very popular idea, calling ones self "a wretch".
I remember years ago, on a talk show, there were interviewing a popular country singer who was also a believer. As the show was coming back from a commercial break, the singer was leading the audience in singing "Amazing Grace". You could see the host of the show standing off to the side with this smirky smile and look on his face. "Do you really think that I am going to call myself a "wretch"? Do you think that I view myself in this manner?" The country singer smiled and loving said, "Hey, we're all wretches, some are just more in touch with it than others are." I thought  the house would come down with applause. 

Our society today wants to elevate humanity to a level it was never suppose to occupy. IN fact the spirit at work in our society today is the same one that we read about in Isaiah 14. The words found in that chapter are spoken by the devil.

"I will ascend to heaven and rule the angels. I will take the highest throne. I will preside on the Mount of the Assembly far away in the North. I will climb to the highest heavens and be like the Most High."
Through his own efforts and will, the devil determined that he would replace God. I see this over and over in the behavior and thoughts and belief's of people. Self-centered. Selfish, doing whatever it takes to get ahead. No need for God, no need for salvation. Yet, The song says that it was this Amazing Grace of God that saved a wretch like me.

Like Paul, I could state that I am chief sinner among sinners. And as a good friend of mine once so eloquently put it...."If not for God and His salvation offered to me, I would be out there running wild, an old stinking pervert."
How true.

So thank you Father for that Amazing Grace you pour on us every day.
Thank You Jesus for dying and then shattering everything hell stands for by rising from the dead.


And thank you, Holy Spirit for being the vehicle that this Amazing Grace comes on. For covering me. For filling me. For dwelling inside of me.
Grace.....
Don't leave home with out it.

God on you....
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...