Friday, December 6, 2013

Rambling Ruminations From An Old Noggin


Merry Christmas! From the "B's", Vicki and Michael.
Hope all is well in your household this somewhat tropical Friday.
It is going to be a busy time from now to Christmas, but it is the kind of busy that a body can enjoy.

Tonight we will be going out to Rapha to put up the Christmas tree.
Always a highlight of the year, it is hilarious to watch these men, who are at Rapha, stand off and not want to participate. They're like a bunch of old Grinch's...."Bah! Humbug." But Vicki comes in with her Killer Hot Chocolate and Snickerdoodle Cookies and before you know it. Everyone is stringing lights and singing Christmas carols. It will be the first time in years for some of these men, that they have actually celebrated Christmas. I remember last year in particular. We had finished the tree and turned out all the lights. As the switch was thrown and the tree lit up in a blaze of color, one man, with tears in his eyes, said, "That is the most beautiful thing I have seen in years." 

Tomorrow night, Seth Barber will be our speaker at Vineyard Recovery. Seth and I have been together since we started our first meeting at Rapha back in 2006. He brings a validation to the recovery message because he has walked, and continues to do so, this process of following Jesus. Debbie Handy will be leading worship and, if I know her, she will have songs that will take us into the presence of God.

Sunday night, I'll be speaking at North Glencoe Celebrate Recovery. Always one of my most favorite places to speak at. God has already given me some nuggets about what to say, so please pray for me that I share what He wants me to.

Monday night, if you're downtown for the Christmas parade, Gadsden Vineyard Church will open and serving free hot chocolate. Bathrooms will also be available. This is something that Vicki and I started years ago, the hot chocolate give-away, and we are very honored that the tradition continues. Of course as warm as it is, they might be serving Chocolate milk (cold).

Here is a verse that has been rolling around in my head, and heart, all this week.
Galatians 1:10
For do I now persuade me, God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
I am constantly having to measure myself, or guard myself to see what my motives or for doing. Am I trying to gain the approval of men? Am I a people pleaser at the expense of being a God pleaser? I pray that I never fall into that mindset.
Moral of the verse? Always check your motives because we have the capability to do the right thing for the wrong reason.

I hope that you have a great weekend!
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...