Monday, January 20, 2014

I May Not Know Job's Turkey, But Ol' Job Was Pretty Teachable



There is knowing.....
And then there is knowing.
One is found in the head.....we refer to as intellect.
The other if found in the heart, and I'm not sure there is a word for that kind of knowing. I guess maybe you could refer to it as intuition, but that sounds so hollow...so limited.


I have been taking a drive through the book of Job over the past few weeks and have reached the last chapter. Poor ol' Job has been bounced around like a cosmic kick-me toy. He'd lost his possessions, as well as family. He was afflicted with skin disease. His best bud's had shown up to comfort him. Such comfort soon turned into a "let's bash Job" party. They began to speak into his life with such theological garbage, that it was a miracle Job didn't just go ahead and check out. But Job persevered. 

The thing I do like about the book is the interaction between Job and God. Job got real honest about his thoughts and beliefs about God.  You might even say that Job went off on God. While I wouldn't recommend this, it did afford God the opportunity to set some things straight.  I like the way Pastor Rod Hembree describes God's answer to Job's outburst of anger and accusation.
God begins to ask Job questions.

"Eighty-three questions explode from the storm surrounding Job's hellish existence as God finally intervenes. The presence of God changes everything for Job---his life, his existence and his mind, soul and spirit. At first, this explanation given by God ...this power sermon from the Almighty, might seem uncaring and harsh. Bu the condition afflicting Job is an infection coming from man's words (Job's three friends). The judgments and words of his so-called friends are parasitic and will eat his spirit alive. The only solution is a diving power-wash from the breath of God to move the lungs of Job's spirit back to God's life.

After God finished, and the dust had cleared, Job sat there with a new revelation concerning who God is and his own place in this relationship.
"I know that You (God) can do everything......"
Oh, if I could only wrap my mind and my heart around that truth, I would trust God in ways I could never ever imagine. I do know God can do anything. I do understand who God is....but even when I am faced with an insurmountable problem, I still battle doubt and fear. "I know God has come through in the past, but will He this time?" "What if He doesn't answer my prayer?" Which usually is translated, "What if it doesn't turn out the way i want it to or think it should?" Do you see what I mean? I trust God, but I am learning to REALLY trust Him.

Job began the process of healing and restoration after this encounter with God. He had to forgive his friends and pray for them. It took time I imagine for life to return to a semblance of normal. But it did happen. Would it turn out like that if it happened to me today? Would my life return to normal after such a time of upheaval, pain and misery? I don't know. I just know that God is worthy to be trusted with every area of my life (after all, I have been bought with a great price). What ever comes my way today, tomorrow, next year.....God's love for me will never change. I can rest in that.

God on you.....
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...