Thursday, January 23, 2014

Real Deal Love


I John 4:16
And so we know and rely on this love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God is in him.

Running late this morning. Sorry about that. Still trying to wrap my head, as well as my heart, around this whole "God is love" thing. 
It doesn't say that God loves.....we know that.
It doesn't say that God has love....we know that He does.
It doesn't even say that God might love....we know that He does that unconditionally.
It says that God is love. He is the ultimate display...the incredible model....the tangible, physical evidence that such an animal (as love) exists and is available to all who would receive it.

God didn't create love. He is love.
Everything He does.......
Everything He says........

All points to the fact that He loves us.
I know, I know...I can hear it now, even as I type this.
"Well, if God is love then why is the world so screwed up? Why do I not feel His love? Why do bad things happen? If He loved us, He wouldn't let anything bad happen."
Really?
Do you really think that's the way it should be? I confess that I have even said those things within my own heart. Asked those same questions. And the answer I keep getting is that I am asking such questions from a very, very selfish heart. I want what I want. I don't want to hurt. I don't want bad things to happen to me. I want God to stop everything that would harm me or hurt me or cause me pain. You see, all my questions about "why" are based in my own selfishness. 

God does love me even when things go South in my life.
The circumstances and situations I face do not remove God's love for me.

And, by the way, this love that God possesses isn't a passive, sit by and do nothing kind of love. It is an active, living, engaging in my life - kind of love. 

It is a love that loves me so much, God will tell me the unfiltered truth about my own heart, especially when I don't want to hear it.
It is a love that will uncover the deeds and darkness that I try to get away with. God loves me so much that He isn't going to let me get away with anything.

That, my friend, is real love.

God on you.....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...