Thursday, February 6, 2014

EVOL----Let God Flip This For You



I Corinthians 13 (Message Bible)
........So no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."

Seems to me that there are some "basics" in this new found life of recovery.
Basics that plot the course and drive the car, so to speak, in this new life of relationship with Christ.


You go to some churches and you hear them expound on the need to spread the gospel. That is church-speak for telling our story.
Other's you'll hear them drive home the point of the need to be students of the word of God. That is church-speak for gaining knowledge and understanding of what God has passed on to us.
Still others will try and stir you to worship. A lifestyle of reverence and serviced to God...not just some songs or tunes.

While all of these are a part of the complete picture of what it means to be in relationship with Christ..........I don't think I've ever heard anyone emphasize the need to learn how to love Jesus. In fact, how do we translate what our head knows, down into our heart where it can be played out to those around us?  In other words, I don't think I've ever heard a focus on our need to love.
I'm not saying that it hasn't been taught, or that someone hasn't written a book. It may be out there, I just haven't found it.

With that said, it seems to this feeble brain that learning to love ought to be our highest priority. Learning to love God for who He is, not what He does.

Learning to love those around us, no matter what. And the most important part of this whole love equation...."Learning to love ourselves." Not the self-centered, goofy, kind of Ain't-I-the-most-wonderful-thing-ever!" type of love.
But the love that God demonstrates and pours out on us every day. To learn how to love as God loves. This should be the something that is put at the head of the list, in my opinion.


Think about it....
Without love, I haven't any spiritual capital. I cannot occupy or move in the things of the kingdom. Why? Because I haven't learned how to love.

Read I Corinthians and see it for what it really is saying.

It talks about speaking with the voice and language of angels....
It speaks of operating with the gift of prophecy and the understanding of all mysteries and knowledge....
It tells of having great faith. Such of the kind as Jesus spoke of where mountains are moved and cast into the sea...
It points out the act of giving everything away to the poor so that you are left with nothing.....
And with the mention of everyone of these incredible acts.....it say that if we do not have love......it is all junk. Worthless. Good for nothing.

That goes to the heart.
Without a heart of love.....we are just doing a bunch of religious stuff that only elevates our flesh and our own self serving interest in the eyes of those around us.
Without love.......we are noisy gongs and cymbals....
Without love.......we are nothing....
Without love.......we return no profit to the kingdom for what God has invested in us.

Maybe I need to be about the business of learning how to love.
Maybe I need to redefine what I consider love to be and how it is suppose to act. 
You see, some have labeled I Corinthians 13 as the love chapter.
While I agree with that, maybe we need to take it one step farther.

It is the love chapter, but the love we see as an example of how to live, comes directly from the Father's heart. It is a pure love that isn't tainted by the world. It is a love that does not manipulate or is manipulated by others.

Father....
I confess that I really haven't sought you out to teach me how to love.

I know that I do love...but it is so sporadic and tends to be directed toward those that I like or have things in common with.
I want you to teach me how to love You....Others.........And myself, so that what I say, what I do and how I feel all fall in line with your Kingdom work that you have called me to.
Thank you, Father that you haven't given up on me.
In Jesus name, I pray...
Amen.

God on you...

mb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You nailed it. Nothing counts if we don't love. And to love I need God loving through me, so I need to stay close to Him. So easy to get caught up in doing.

Greene Street Letters said...

I think God may be a tad more serious about this "love" thing that we take him for. Sometimes I think maybe after we are saved, we shove all the things we don't do and the behaviors we don't want to change under the heading of "GRACE" and act like everything is okey-dokey!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...