Friday, February 21, 2014

Why?



Why?
As a parent, I can't tell you the number of times I heard this from my sons.

"Go clean your room."
"Why?"
"You need to wear a jacket today."
"Why?"
Or, turning the tables around, "Why are you bald headed?"
"Why is your beard partly gray and partly brownish-red?"
Why...Why...Why...

In this journey of new life, we need to always guard ourselves as to "Why" we are doing what we do. What is the motive behind our action/  What is the intent of our words? Are we saying what we think is the right thing to say, but the motive is to manipulate someone else into doing what we want them to do?
"Why" needs to be a part of our arsenal as we learn and grow in Christ.

Psalm 139:1 reads: O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me (my motives and intentions). We go on to read in verse 23 and 24, Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
In other words, we truly become that living sacrifice we read about in Romans 1. We spiritually climb up on the altar and tell God, "Here I am! Cut me open and see what's really inside, so that I can see and be aware of anything I am doing that is offensive to you."  Talk about brutal honesty....this is the core to recovery.....being honest with yourself and being honest about yourself is where real life with Christ starts. Not honest about all your mess, so you can just beat yourself up and tell yourself what a terrible person you are. No! Honest so you can receive healing and strength to move forward. Seeing the things that need to change. Isn't that part of the serenity prayer? "Give me courage to change the things that should be changed?" I know, I know..you think I wrote that part down wrong, didn't you? Well, I didn't. Today the prayer says, "Grant me the courage to change the things I can." The original serenity prayer stated "Grant me the courage to change the things that should be changed."  Such courage can only come from God. Seeing the things that need to be changed in my character and my life can only be seen when God asks me, "Why? Why did you say that...or why did you do that?" Out of the heart flow all our behaviors. Out of our belief system comes our actions and words. In other words, if my character is flawed and dark, then my motives and intentions will be likewise, which will evidenced by the bad, selfish choices i make. 

I truly am learning a new way to live...If you pursue this Jesus long enough, and allow Him to work in you and through you, you'll find yourself experiencing a freedom and a peace you never thought were possible.

Honesty demands an answer from me...
Not an excuse.

Hope to see you tomorrow night at Vineyard Recovery Church / 7 p.m.
Until then...
God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...