Monday, March 17, 2014

I Went Home Yesterday



Psalm 116:15
When the arrive at the gates of death, God welcomes those who love Him.

There is an old saying that, "You can never go home."
Yesterday, I went home.
I wrestled with whether or not to attend the funeral of my friend, Noel Whisenant. I hadn't seen him in over 35 years. In my mind I thought, "They won't remember me. No one will think anything about me not attending." But as I sat at the dinner table with Vicki and mom, another thought pushed everything else aside. "Go!" Simple as that. Just one word......go. So I went.

I don't drive to Gallant much these days. Oh I may cut through the cove every now and then, on my way home from Oneonta. But such is not my normal route. As I drove, I tried to name as many homes (by the kids who lived there) as I could. First one coming out of the Clear Creek Curves was JoAnn Battles and her brother, Phillip. One by the one the houses and the names came quickly. I was surprised that I remembered as many as I did. Benny and June Campbell.....Nancy Hutchins.....Mike and Shannon Cunningham....Mary and Joe Herring....and on and on went the list.

I finally pulled into the parking lot of the church that was my home for 13 years, from age 5 to 18. They have built a new sanctuary which was very impressive. Making my way in, I could see so many faces.....of those who have gone on.

My brother, Wayne, was already there and we made our way to pay our respects to Noel's brothers, Larry and C.B.
Noel had died of cancer. C.B. had taken care of Noel for a long time. Both were self proclaimed bachelor's who just loved spending time together. Ball games....races....they were kind of a mutt and Jeff twosome.  


I saw many folks I hadn't seen in years. Most didn't recognize this old grizzled, hairy face, but once I told them my name, they began to share stories of their memories of when I was a kid.

When the service started, the choir came in. As the music started and the voices of the choir moved in, I suddenly could hear Mrs. Chandler, even though she has been dead for a number of years. She sang alto...a really loud, distinct alto. A smile came over me....she was a good lady.

Friends and family got an opportunity to stand and share memories of Noel.
The common denominator of all their stories was that Noel was a gentle soul who loved Jesus, his church and Auburn football. 

After the service, I got a real treat. I walked over to the old sanctuary. Some of it has been converted into class rooms, but the front part (choir loft, pulpit, altar, and 7 rows of pews) still remain the same. It was one of those surreal moments that happen at times. I made my way to the right side of the room and sat down on pew 7. It was here on a hot July night that Bro. Hugh Chambliss preached a sermon about God's call on a life. As far as i was concerned, there wasn't anyone else in the room on that night. Just God, me and Hugh Chambliss. He was talking to me. It was here on this pew and in this room that I knew God had called me to be a preacher. Funny part....even though I knew God had called me, it scared me to such a degree that I spent the next 33 years running from it. I quietly spoke...."Thank you Father that you didn't give up on me."

Wayne and I made our way out to the cemetery to where mother and Daddy are buried. I don't get out to their graves much. In fact, over the past 33 years, I think I've been twice. But this was a good day. He and I stood there and the one thing we wished is that they both could see how we turned out. Not sure if they really  believed we would make it. But here we were....almost as old as they were when they died. I put my arm around my brother and said, "You did good!" He reciprocated. I laughed and told him, "Mom and Dad were more concerned about how I would turn out than they were you." 

As we parted, I came away put together. I came away thinking that even though I had attended the funeral of a friend, God had used it to remind me of some pretty important things. 
1.) Life truly is short
2.) Pay homage to those who poured themselves into you when you were growing up.
3.) Love....

Thank you Gallant First Baptist, for giving me a foundation that I have stood on over the last 57 years.

God on you....

mb

3 comments:

David Finlayson said...

thanks.
-df

Don said...

Reading your eulogy and pleasant thoughts on Gallant brought memories back to me also. Noel visited us one time when we were living in Baton Rouge to attend an AuburnLSU football game. They spent the night with us and we enjoyed having them. Great memories of the Whisenant family as well as all of Gallant. Thanks for reminding me of those wonderful times.

Greene Street Letters said...

Thanks guys...I appreciate you sharing.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...