Saturday, April 5, 2014

Simple Is Good


Psalm 119:130
The entrance of Your words gives light. It gives understanding to the 
Simple.

adj. sim·plersim·plest
1. Having or composed of only one thing, element, or part. See Synonyms at pure.
2. Not involved or complicated; easy: a simple task. See Synonyms at easy.
3. Being without additions or modifications; mere: a simple "yes" or "no."
4. Having little or no ornamentation; not embellished or adorned: a simple dress.
5. Not elaborate, elegant, or luxurious. See Synonyms at plain.
6. Unassuming or unpretentious; not affected.


I do consider myself to be a simple man. I don't take that as a put down or a criticism at all.
I lead, what I consider to be a simple life. I don't  need a lot of stuff to feel good about my existence. I find joy in what some refer to as life's simpler pleasures.

I love a good cup of coffee. Coffee that doesn't have to be flavored or dressed up. Don't mind others who like theirs that way, but it's not for me.

I love me some "grand baby" hugs. Never tire of them. I love to hear my grand kids call my name when they come busting through the door. Nothing like having a lap full love when they crawl up to hug your neck.

I like a firm handshake.

The smell of Honeysuckle is good also. I especially like it when the day is over and the sun is going down.

Freshly mowed grass and freshly turned earth are the two best smells in the world, because they represent work that has been done.

I like a good laugh, even at my own expense. If you can't laugh at yourself, you better go sit in the corner and do some thinking.

Thunder and lightning are the best show ever. Standing on the porch waiting for the rain. You can smell rain. My wife taught me that one. Bless her heart, she can sniff out a storm a hundred miles away. 

I love to see my wife in new ways. You know what I mean. I'll be going through my day doing all the little tasks that have to be done to keep a household running, and I'll  be walking through a room and catch a glimpse of her. And for a brief moment, it's like I'm seeing her again for the first time. It kind of catches your breath and makes your heart skip a beat. I silently throw up a prayer thanking God for the life He has given the two of us.

I love Roscoe. He's the camp dog out at Rapha. I don't care how many times you run into Roscoe through the day, it's like he hasn't seen you in years. Truth be known, he's looking for a cookie you might have hidden in a pocket, or some other treat. But Roscoe is alright in my book. Nothing like the love of a good dog.

I love to worship.
I love to sing and pour out my heart to God. I love to worship when Debbie Handy is leading. She can take us into the presence of God faster than any other person I know of.
I love it when God comes down and fills the room with His presence during worship. I simply love to get lost in worship. Get lost to the point that there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the room except for God and me.

I love it when the Holy Spirit lets me see a verse in a new way. One that is applicable to me. One that I need to read and apply. It's like the verse stands up on the page and screams my name out..."Michael! Pay attention! You need to understand this."

I never tire of seeing someone saved.
I never tire of baptizing people. I will stay in the water until I'm pruned....but nothing beats being a part of baptism. For me, baptizing in the creek at Rapha is the best. Usually Wayne Wimpee helps me when we have one to do. Afterwards, he and I will stand in the water praying and talking. Just taking in all that has happened, thinking back over the years at all the other baptisms we have done in that creek. Asking ourselves how many more years will we be able to get up and down that creek bank. I still have a whole bunch of years left in to climb that bank.

I appreciate you letting me ramble this morning.
I was feeling grateful for all that God has allowed me to see and experience.
It has been a great ride so far, and I look forward to seeing it all the way to the end.
In case I haven't told you lately....
I love you and so does God.

God on you...
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...