Wednesday, April 23, 2014

To Know God


Hebrews 3:7-8
Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says,"Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden
your hearts as in the rebellion. In the day of trial in the wilderness."

Verse 12-14
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing form the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called "today" lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.

II Timothy 1:6
Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

I am feeling an urgency.
I believe it is from God.
But I'm not sure what I am suppose to be urgent about.
I just know that it is there.

I have been parked in these verses all evening.
Cautionary verses directed toward all who are followers of Jesus.


I do believe it may have something to do with taking a personal inventory and making sure we are still on the right track. It is so easy to slide from following Jesus, into looking like we are following Jesus.
No life....lot of activity.
I have seen many a person get saved and then quit, thinking to themselves, "Hey..I've arrived. I've got my card and ticket punched to heaven. I no longer have to worry about hell, so I think I'll coast for a while. 
No longer are they "Standing on the Promises."
They are simply "Sitting on the premises." 
There is a vast difference between "knowing" God and merely knowing about Him.

Knowing God is what opens up the door to real recovery from drugs and alcohol. Some will read that statement and "Bah humbug" me all the way to China and back. Why? Because that is too easy. Addiction is a complicated disease, with many levels of healing that need to take place. Or at least that what the pundits will say. Now you've got to hear me on this. I am, in no way, advocating just putting a Bible in some poor addicts hand and then shoving them toward a church and say, "Go get healed, boy! Jesus will do you good."
However, I am advocating a life-changing encounter with the living God. 
Once that encounter takes place and a person is saved, they are now ready to be taught and shown the way on how to keep the fire burning so to speak. To not let the salvation die a cold death through neglect of complacency, eventually returning to their old ways and habits.

That is why we have Vineyard Recovery Church.
To be a place of encouragement to those who are moving in this new life.
To be a place where you can receive a "fresh" or new touch from God.
To be a place where we can all learn how to hear God and follow what we hear.
We gather together each Saturday night to meet with our Higher Power, Jesus Christ.

I chose the picture of the entrance to our building for this post this morning because I think it speaks to what I have written about.
The building is half in shadow and half in light.
You don't know whether it's early morning or late evening.

But change is taking place. We are moving forward. We may not always know what is next, but we can trust God to keep us. Whether we are moving into a time of darkness or a time of light. A time of hardship and suffering, or a time of joy and celebration. No matter which it may be, our need for God does not change. In fact we should develop a hunger for His presence like we never have before.

Maybe that is what the urgency I feel is all about.
Knowing that we are moving, and we all need to make sure we are prepared for the next part of the journey.


God on you...

mb

1 comment:

ty said...

"To not let the salvation die a cold death through neglect of complacency, eventually returning to their old ways and habits."
this is what happened to me! I really don't know how or why except lack of maintenance. to me this is what Paul was talking about when he said he was working out his salvation with fear and trembling. I don't think he was worried about losing his salvation..... but that he was maintaining his intimate relationship with Daddy because he knew what he'd go back to without it! Love y'all

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...