Thursday, May 8, 2014

I Am A Mess


Romans 7 (Message Bible)
Yes, I'm full of myself----after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it. It becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it. I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

All addiction begins as a spiritual matter.
We make a choice.
We have the ability to hear God....
We know right from wrong....
But we choose to simply "try it", not thinking of the consequences that will follow, sometimes for years.
With that simple choice, we unlock a Pandora's box of misery.

We chase a temporary feeling that produces long term misery.

We have given ourselves to a level of spiritual darkness that puts us under the control of the devil and his kingdom. We become his subjects.
We are slaves to an authority that only seeks to destroy not only the body, but the soul and spirit as well. His chief aim is to keep us from every having any semblance of relationship with Jesus. If he can accomplish this, then that is one more victory he can relish in.

Addiction, as is all sin, is nothing more than a form of worship.
It's the focus of the worship that most people miss.
Addictive worship isn't about the drugs, or the alcohol......
It isn't about sex or money.....
Power or greed.......
Addictive worship is about "Self".

You become the center of your own worship. 
The sin nature that demands complete surrender and satisfaction rules the life of one trapped in addiction.
You bend your knee at the great altar of "YOU!"
Think back to Genesis 3 when the woman had the conversation with the serpent.

The serpent fed the woman a line that has brought misery ever since then.
"God knows you won't die if you eat the fruit! God know that if you do, your eyes will be opened and YOU will become LIKE God!."
If I am like God....
I don't need God....

Our minds and hearts are stamped with the desire to be our own "GOD".
Except we lack the moral compass or ability to break free from the sin/nature that came with that mishap that took place in the garden.

So when the real "YOU" demands drugs, you go and get them to use.
When the real "YOU" demands alcohol, you go and get some.
To break this cycle of destruction and sin, it takes someone with more authority and Power than the one who is controlling you. That would be Jesus.

Through His death and resurrection, Jesus broke the power of sin.
Cancelled the penalty of sin......
And defeated the presence of sin in us....
The first three steps of the Twelve Steps leads us out of the old life and into a new one under the guidance and love of Jesus. WE slowly begin to see the change and benefits that come with our new way of living....

If you're looking for a place to connect and grow, come and join us every Saturday night at Vineyard Recovery Church. We are here for you!

God on you...

mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...