Saturday, May 31, 2014

What's Really Going On?


Jude:22-23
And on some have compassion, making a distinction. But others save with fear pulling them, or snatching them, out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

This has been a week of "working" via the telephone.
lot's of calls from people I haven't seen in a while. Some were good and some were not so good. Unfortunatly the "not so good" out numbered the "good".  

"I need help!"
"I'm tired of living."
"I don't know what to do."
You can say what you want to. You can quote whatever scripture you may feel is appropriate. But the truth of the matter is, people are dying daily because of the beast of addiction. It is an animal, a force, a mind destructive behavior that is an equal opportunity destroyer. I think maybe that is why back in October of 2012 God used an image in my mind as the seed to what is now Vineyard Recovery. I was writing in my journal and praying when I suddenly had a mental picture in my mind. It was of World War II soldiers marching in the rain down a road that had turned to mud. They were headed toward a battle. If you think about it, that is what soldiers do. They go to where the battle is being waged. They engage the enemy and they work as a unit. Sorry, I digress. I could use all manner of military terminology,but I won't. Bottom line is this. We are engaging in spiritual warfare for the heats and souls of people who are trapped behind the enemies lines. If you don't think that the devil and his minions won't come after you when you are a threat to him, you'd better think twice. That is why it is so important for us to protect ourselves. 

Protection comes when we are connected to a group of like minded people who are focused on following Jesus. I'm not talking about the casual church goer. I'm talking about a person who is serious about their faith. Someone who realizes that we are all called to be a force for the Kingdom rule of God here on earth. To recognize that we have need to be equipped to "Do the works of Christ". To not just pray for others, but to learn how to effectively pray. To not just memorize scripture, but let the word of God dwell richly in us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the day's of playing church and pretending to be church are over. It's time to grow up. We've got people dying all around us. 

Todd Hunter, former National Director of the Association of Vineyard Churches, put together a paper that was to define who and what Vineyard was after the death of John Wimber. This became known as the Columbus Accords. I found my copy and was reading over it  The very first paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks. It was language that defined who Vineyard Recovery has been called to be, and what we are called to do.

"We are called to be a force of spiritual revolution, not a stagnant institution."
"We are called to produce an environment where demonstrated purity and character are valued as highly as charisma and rhetorical skills."

In other words, we are called to be a people of God who really are living "salt" and "Light" to a world gone mad in sin. We are called to action and to be a force for the Kingdom of God.

Therefore, our call as a church is for the purpose of helping ourselves and others fulfill their God-given potential. I am not real interested in the idea of growing a church as much as I am in seeing people find new life and purpose in Christ.  You have heard me say this on more than one occasion. The measure of any church is not the number of people who show up for the services. It isn't the amount of money that is taken up each week, or the size of their bank account. The measure of EVERY church is the quality of people it produces. Are they people of integrity? Are they falling in love with this Jesus and, in turn, expending themselves on His Kingdom?

I Corinthians 4:20
For the kingdom of God is not in word by in power.

Matthew 6:10
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

John 14:12
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in ME, the works that I do he will also do, and greater works than these he will do because I go to My Father.

Luke 17:21
.......For the kingdom of God is within you.

There is a painting that hangs in Gadsden Vineyard Church. It contains the motto of the Moravian's. Every time I see it, I am stirred to remember what our purpose, everyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus, is. "To win for the Lamb the rewards of His suffering."
God help us to see this all the way to the end, and not give up or grow weary.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...