Friday, June 20, 2014

Hunger Is No Game


Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger...............

For what ever reason, my thoughts have been on the state of being hungry for God. A hunger for Him....not necessarily His Word....or His blessings......but for God Himself.
When you think about it...it really makes sense. To follow Jesus takes, on our part, having a hunger or drive to do so. It isn't something that we can manufacture within ourselves. Oh, we can look and act religious and probably even put on a good show of being hungry. But I'm talking about something that goes beyond the emptiness of religion. I'm talking about something that, if you are in addiction, will transport you to a new level of life. A real hunger for God.
And I'm not so sure that only God can produce such a hunger inside of each of us. 

A hunger that looks at what the world has to offer and then cries out to God--"Save Me! I must have you lest I die!"  The prophet  Jeremiah wrote, "You will seek me (God) and find me when you seek me with all your heart." What falls under "ALL"? Every bit of us...every ounce of our energy and every fiber with in me.  Is this going a bit too far? I don't think so.  Where is the fire of God that is suppose to burn in our hearts? Where is the passion for Jesus?  

Song of Songs 3:1 paints an incredible picture of this fire.....this hunger that God desires us to have. 
All night long on my bed I looked for the one my heart loves. I looked for Him but did not find Him. I will get up now and go about the city, through the streets and squares. I will search for the one my heart loves.
A hunger to be with Him.....
A desire to give up sleep to find His presence.

A drive....unction.....to be with the one who has given us life.
Jesus.

Hunger for Him is not built on emotion.
Hunger for Him is not founded on feelings....
It is given by God to those who have cried out for Him. I do believe that being desperate has something to do with this hunger. I also believe that God is tired of a passionless people. A people who wish to extend His kingdom by remaining in the status quo. Don't rock the boat. 


II Chronicles 16:9 reads: For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. Not those who wish to carry on a half-hearted love affair with God, but those whose hearts are "FULLY" committed. 
"O.K....now you're journeying into the land of fanaticism."
Am I?
Am I truly telling you this so that you'll become a religious zealot?
No! I am going through this whole hunger thing because God is stirring me. Because my own hunger for God has been measured and found to be small. Has that ever happened to you? You think you're doing alright with this relationship you have with Him. You cruising along and all of a sudden, a thought is dropped into your heart. Where did it come from? Duh! God. If you check out Acts 7, you'll see where "It came into Moses' heart to visit his brethren one day." This visit turned out to be the event that caused Moses to flee for his life. From that one event, God took Moses into the wilderness for forty years. Trained him. Sent him back to Egypt to deliver the Hebrews from slavery. So God will drop His purposes for you into your heart. If that be the case, then God will drop the "hunger" factor into our hearts to see what we will do with it. Will we allow it grow and become a full blown unction that moves us toward Him? Or will we choke it out with the things of this world, as we seek to build a comfortable life? 


I do believe that God is looking for a hungry people.
A people who are fully committed to Him and His kingdom.

Are you hungry?

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...