Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Vineyard + Worship = Our Spiritual DNA



Matthew 8:2
And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him.........

I have a lot of people question me as to why I keep referring to John Wimber so much when it comes to worship and this thing we call relationship with Jesus. "Don't you guys in the Vineyard have anyone who is current that teaches this stuff?" Well, the answer is yes. Every Vineyard Church has, as its corner stone, a heart to worship. We believe that our highest calling and purpose is to worship God. From this place we move out to affect, infect, and effect our part of the world. 

I keep referring to John Wimber in print and video because his was the voice that is ingrained in my heart and mind. His was, and continues to be, the voice that God spoke through that awakened this old heart to the power and proclamation of the Word of God.
John's voice was one that uncovered his own heart before us all. We saw a man who loved God with a burning, white hot love....yet was a man with all the flaws and short comings. He lived that way in front of us all. as John use to say..."I'm just an old fat man trying to get to heaven." There was an honesty and transparency in John that made everyone around him want to live in that same fashion. It wasn't that he excused his sin or tried to cover it with the religious trappings, but rather knew that if he did not remain close to Christ, like Peter, he would wander off into areas that were dangerous to his soul.

I have been blessed over the years to have had three men in my life who opened the scripture up to me. Rev. Don Gentry, George Creel and John Wimber.
Don gave me a foundation and love for the word of God. He taught me the basic principals of what it means to be a follower of Christ. I still have my first Bible compleete with underlined verses and scribbles and scrawls I wrote as young boy listening to Don teach.


George Creel took me to a whole other level, as he taught about the person and work of the Holy Spirit. He introduced me to the prophetic side of Scripture. I saw in George, a very humble man who knew the power and presence of God was needed to battle the darkness that hangs over this world. George knew that the Love of God would defeat the most formidable foe we would come up against.

John Wimber told me that it was o.k. for me to participate in Kingdom work. He taught me that worship was power because when we gave ourselves to God, He would come down and inhabit our praises. There was a connection that happened when we, as God's people, laid aside our problems and worries and turned our attention to Him. Thanking Him, praising Him, adoring Him.....I can't explain the how or why of worship. I just know that the air gets very clear and I hear God better during worship than at any other time.


This Thursday, Friday and Saturday,at Gadsden Vineyard Church, we are honored to have Carl Tuttle and John Barnett come to head up the 2nd annual Living Sacrifices Worship Conference. Cost is $45.00 for this three day conference, and I tell you it will be on when these two take the stage to lead us in worship. Both of these men are a part of our history and legacy as a church movement. They were part of the first Vineyard church that John started back in the '70's in California. Take my word on this one...you will not want to miss this conference.

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...