Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Eternal Promises


Exodus 6:7
.....Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God......

The words of God spoken to Moses....
A list of promises that will be fulfilled.
God has given His word and will now act on it......
Take that to the bank, if you will, after all He is God, isn't He?
Even though the words we read in Exodus 6 were directed toward a people, the Hebrews, they are as relevant today as they were when God spoke them thousands of years ago. For in them, we see the heart of God that yearns to be known by His creation, and to for them to be set free from the taskmasters of sin.

The Hebrews, in the Exodus account, have been in bondage for over 400 years. You know when you live in a lifestyle such as they did, there is a tendency to simply accept it. It's all you've known. You were born a slave....your parents were slaves...you're grand parents were slaves....it's all you've ever known. Now all of a sudden there is this flourish of divine activity and God begins to declare a coming time of freedom. Pretty heady stuff, if you ask me.


Exodus 6:6-8
V6 - Therefore say to the children of Israel, "I AM THE LORD!"
God puts His personal name at the beginning of this list of promises for freedom so there will be no confusion as to who is responsible. It is truly what we believe and teach at Vineyard Recovery Church. God has decreed freedom to those who are trapped in addiction. He makes no apology or explanation when He proclaims that He is the way out...

I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
The transference from one kingdom to another. Still relevant today. God's gift of salvation, upon acceptance by us, takes us out from under the control of sin and places under the guidance of His Holy Spirit that is given to everyone who believes. God frees us from the penalty of sin.....breaks the power of sin...and keeps us from the presence of sin. All we have to do is accept His salvation and follow His directions.

I will rescue you from their bondage.
We trade one burden for another burden. But Jesus tells us in Matthew 11, that His burdens are light and do not carry the weight of those that the devil had placed on us. We find that one of our burdens that we will carry will be a heart for those who are still out there trapped, living under the bondage of addiction.

And I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments.
It was those outstretched arms of Jesus on that cross that opened the door for major deliverance to be poured out on all of humanity. Because of Christ's redemption, I am a new creation of infinite worth in the eyes of my heavenly Father. Know this day that Jesus did not die for worthless people. He saw a value in you and in me that we could not see in ourselves.

V7 - I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the LORD your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
Then you shall "KNOW" that I am the Lord your God. Know.....to experience through an incredible act of intimacy. God is waging a battle against a dictatorial power for the sole reason of His love for a people trapped in bondage. That is the same reason we see deliverance today in the lives of those who have run into this God. His desire to lay claim to that which was taken back in the garden when the man and woman gave dominion away for a piece of fruit. 

V8 - And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, And I will give it to you as a heritage. 
God doesn't give us a promised land....
He provides us with a promised life.....

Since it is God who is speaking this, we can pretty much take it to the bank as being true.

These incredible promises end the same way as they began....
I am the LORD.

That is His way of stating that what has been spoken will be fulfilled.
God is as trustworthy today as when He spoke these promises to Moses.
Think on this today....

God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...