Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Purpose Not Porpoise


Purpose?
You mean I was created for something else besides breathing this air, eating this food, and taking up space here on planet Earth?
Purpose?
Here it comes...
It sounds like it's going to be something spiritual or religious.

The One who created me has a purpose for my existence.
I knew it.
I knew there was a catch to the whole "live my life" thing.
I don't get a say in what my purpose is, do I?
Of course you do.
You can say "yes"
or 
You can say "no".
But you do have a say in the whole matter.

Sounds to me like there's only one way that this thing will turn out right and that is if I say "yes".
Well, what's wrong with that? 
If the purpose is for your good.
If the purpose promotes a betterment to your life --- mentally, physically and spiritually---then why wouldn't you want to embrace this purpose? I think maybe the answer is "You would want to."

Our first, and highest purpose is very simple.
We were created for fellowship with God.

Under such a creation, we were created to worship Him.
Worship with our heart and lips as we proclaim His goodness.
Worship with our thoughts as we meditate on His Word.
Worship with our very lives, as we do everything as worship unto God.
What falls under "Every thing?"

Every thing!

I think our existence here on this planet is truly about living for Him.
Living in a relationship. Two way communication between me and God.
I talk to Him....He talks to me.

I share what is on my heart and He, in turn, shares what is on His.
I want to please Him in everything I do....
He wants to bless me in everything He does...

It is such a monumental way to live, that you want to tell someone else what is going on in your life.
So you do.
You share your story.
Actually you share His story that is being played out in your life.
You become a witness to the simple fact that God's purpose and your life have become one and the same.

In some ways, you are an extension of God's plan being played out in our time and space.
You become a living example of the love that God has for this world and those who inhabit it.

You become a living Bible, if you will.
Pretty heady stuff, isn't it?

I was studying for a teaching that I had to do when I ran across a verse that kind of jumped off the page at me.
The words were spoken by Jesus on the night before He was crucified, but I when I read them, I felt them deep inside.
They were more than words....
It was as if they were to be the punctuation that should define every believer's life.
Something that should be said at the end of every believer's days here on planet Earth.

To me, the words would exalt the call and purpose to a life lived for Him.
John 17:4
"I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do."
That is how I want to be remembered. A man who brought glory to God while he lived here during his lifetime. A person who finished what God had given Him to do. What better way to tie up the loose ends of life that with this statement?

God on you this day!

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...