Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Talking To Myself


Psalm 106:4
Remember me, O LORD, with the favor You have toward Your people. Oh, visit me with Your salvation.

Who is that guy?
Seems like I should know him.
The face is very familiar.
I vaguely remember him. But that was so long ago.

Now I remember!
 Senior photo, class of 1969, Etowah High School. 
Seventeen and 3/4 years of age. When did we stop measuring our age with fractions..? 

I'd like to visit with him for a while. 

I'd like for him to know what is going to take place over the next 45 years. The good and the bad. 
I'd like to see his face when I tell him where he is going to land, what he is going to be doing.
How this God that he thinks he knows is really so much more than he could think or imagine
But then that would take all the fun out of life, wouldn't it? I think I'll keep silent and not spoil any of the fun that is out there waiting for him. Not to mention the heart ache and pain that accompanies every one's journey. The good and the bad, all a part of life.

I look at him, and I think to myself that in 1969 life was all about decisions. There were so many that had to be made. What am I going to do? College? Marriage? A job or a career? Back in '69, we had the added pressure of the draft and the war in Viet Nam. I guess it is good that it is the young that have to scale the mountain of decisions. I think I might be too tired to attempt such a journey now.As I've gotten older, the decisions have become less and less. I guess you could say that I am benefiting from the some of the decisions that he made on this journey to today from 1969.

Sitting here in my home this morning, ruminating on that photo, I am filled with such emotion over the goodness that God has shown to me and my family. No, I'm not the same person that you see in that photo, and rightfully so. Life is about change. It is about learning from the disappointments and failures. It is about celebrating the accomplishments and milestones. It is simply about not giving up. Life is best defined when found in a relationship with our creator. To me, this relationship has been the most satisfying and fulfilling part of my journey. I am grateful for the different church families God has placed me in during my journey. From the good folk at Gallant First Baptist who took me in and nurtured me. Gave me a solid foundation of who Jesus is and the study of His word, all the way to this day and the good folk at Vineyard Recovery Church. The God is serve today is so different that the one I gave my will and life to back in 1960. Is that true? Not really, it is just a way of stating that I have grown and my understanding of who God is has changed. 

That young man in the photo had no idea about becoming a husband, father, and grand father. He knew nothing about putting an additional 46 years of wear and tear to his body and mind. I guess the one thing I would want to tell that young man would be "Take heart my son, you turned out o.k."
Just grateful to be here today.
Thankful that God did not give up on me....


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...