Monday, July 7, 2014

Ten Birds Setting On A Wire


Joshua 24:15
.......Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve.......

Ten birds setting on a wire....
One decides to fly away....
How many birds are left?

Ten...
He only thought about it, but took no action.
This is the twilight zone place that everyone in addition faces....
That moment when they decide to get sober....
They decide that they want this relationship with Jesus that I have been talking about....
They are ready to change....
But they do nothing about it.
They only think about it...
They only talk about it....

In essence, they are that 10th bird who sat there, never flying away.
Fear of the unknown and of the future, weighed against their past behavior, has stifled them and locked them down into a place of non action.

I understand the fear that comes with looking ahead.
I know what it is like to be so wrapped in fear, because of your past, that you can't move forward.
Fear of failure....
Fear of rejection....

Fear of not being able to change...
All a part of the huge mountain that faces everyone who is caught in addiction.
But......there is a solution.
The solution is not found in a program, although programs are a needed tool to make it.
The solution is not found in a meeting, although meetings are important to give us a sense of community...

The solution is found in an individual...Jesus Christ.
The ultimate HIGHER POWER.

I am going to make a bold statement....
All addiction is tied to one simple fact....
We have rejected God in order to pursue our own personal lusts, wants and desires. Some how, we have lived under the delusional thinking that we are the captains of our own life. Well, life has crashed and burned on the rocks and we are still at the wheel trying to guide and direct the boat. We have all the answers....

1.) If people would just get off my back and leave me alone! Really? That is what you want? Do you really mean that? IF that is the case, then who will you call when you are arrested and jailed? Who will make your bail? Oh...those people that you want to get off your back...bummer.

2.) I'm not hurting anyone! That's my favorite line. If we're not hurting anyone, then why is the entire family affected by our using? Could it be that we are in denial and spiritually blind to what is happening around us?

3.) You have no right to interfere in my life! Really? But you have the right to self destruct and take everyone around you down the tubes, right? 

4.) I like the way it makes me feel! The ultimate sin/sickness. I don't care who I hurt...I don't care how much money you have to spend (Yes, even your retirement) on me......I like the way it makes me feel.  Selfishness and self centered taken to new levels. Yet let the family take a stand against the individual and we hear the all to familiar cry of "Y'all don't love me!" 

 Whether you want to believe or not...
Whether you agree with me or not...
Consider the simple fact that the choices we are making today affect us long after we give up this body and life. Those choices determine our destiny once we die and move over into the eternal part of our existence. Not something I would want to play with. Not something I would want to ignore.

I had a good friend who disagreed with me on the whole spiritual-life-after-death view. He asked me one time, "Michael, what will you do if when you die you discover that all this heaven and hell stuff was not true or real?" I replied to him that I would be o.k. if it isn't real. That I had lead a good life. Had great family and wife....got to make some good music and hang out with some pretty incredible musicians and friends. I would be alright with it.
Then I asked him....
"What are you going to do when you die and find out all this heaven and hell stuff is real?"
Silence..

No answer...
Today is the day to make that decision to fly away from this old life that is truly killing you to the grave.......and beyond.

God on you....

mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...