Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Real Deal


"I have loved you with an everlasting love."
Bold words that should bring us great comfort.

Love....
We need it as much as we need air.
Air to keep us alive.....
Love to keep us alive.
Without love, we shrivel up and die.
But not love as this world defines it.
Not love as our society claims we need.
Their track record is not to good.
Beatles sang, "All You Need Is Love"...and then they broke up.
The need to be loved is born into every heart.
Poet's write about it...
Songwriters sing about it...
People talk about it...
But what they crave falls short of what God wants to give.

The love that He pours out on us is pure and has not been defiled by this world. The love He pours out destroys the works of the devil in our lives. The love He pours out breaks the bonds and chains of addiction and sin that have held us in captivity. His love is power.

Why do we need love? Because love affirms us. Love tells us that we have worth to someone else, even when we can't see it for ourselves.
So when God tells us that He loves us with an ever lasting love, He sees us as having an eternal worth that stretches far beyond this side of heaven.
I keep saying it....
I know it to be true, but some how I keep drifting away from it....
But I probably should spend more time and effort asking God to show me how to love others. You know, and I know, that it is easy to love the people who you deem lovable. It's that other group...you know the ones...the knuckleheads and the ones who get on your last nerve.....Those are the ones I need help learning how to love. God showed me that they weren't the problem. I was. In fact, He told me that I needed to remember that to someone else, I was one of those unlovable knuckleheads. "Really? Me? Surely You jest, Lord." He wasn't. OUCH!

"I have loved you with an ever lasting love. Therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you."  The Holy Spirit uses this eternal love to woo us into relationship with God. We have a tendency to see ourselves in a bad way..."I'm a terrible person...look at what I have done....How could God love me." Well, He does. Do you think God doesn't know all our secrets? Even those that we may have forgotten are not beyond His reach, and in spite of everything, He still loves us. In spite of everything, He still wants to have a relationship with us. How could you not receive such a wonderful gift?

Our main focus at Vineyard Recovery Church, is to learn now to love God and be loved by Him. Such is the power of the cross. Such is the power of the gospel, or good news, of Jesus. Love is a powerful force to break down walls of doubt and fear. Love is the Master's Plow that breaks up the hard ground of our hearts. 

Today....
Let down the walls you have constructed around your heart.
Walls that were built because you had been hurt when you loved someone else.

Find out the truth for yourself about this ever lasting love...
God on you....

mb




No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...