Sunday, July 13, 2014

Went To The Filling Station Last Night


Isaiah 55:1
Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters...
And you, who have no money, come, buy and eat.

Yes, come, buy wine and mild. Without money and without price.

Yesterday was one of those days where I was running on empty.
The week had been full, and now it was time to prepare for last night's meeting at Vineyard Recovery Church. 
Cd's to burn....
Chairs to move....
Stage to set up.....

Preparation for a baptism....
Coffee to make....
A former client calls and wants to know if I have time to meet with him since he is in Gadsden.
"Of course I do."

It was good catching up and hearing what all has transpired since he left Rapha.
Needless to say, by the time 5:30 rolled around, I was empty.
Not in a physical sense, but in the emptiness that comes from giving away all week.
I needed to be filled.

I needed my plate piled high with goodies.
God never fails.

Seth spoke last night and, as always, hits the nail on the head.
I have watched this young man grow over the past 11 years. I have watched as the Spirit of God took this former addict and changed him into a fire brand for His Kingdom.
Seth burns to help others in addiction.
He won't enable, and he speaks the truth. Sometimes the hard truth that no one wants to hear, but truth none the less.
He spoke on the "Promises of God" and how they are for everyone who will turn loose and turn will and life over to the care of God.

Isaiah 54:17 reads: No weapon forged against you will prevail (Succeed or prosper), and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is the vindication from Me.

As an example of "Giving Up!", Seth told a story of a white water rafting trip he took some years back. Winding up in an extremely rough patch of water, Seth's raft overturned and it threw him into a whirlpool. He kept being pulled under by the suction of the water, and was failing and fighting to break free from the current. The guide had explained before their trip started that if anyone found themselves in that situation the best thing to do was not fight it but let it pull you down. Once under the water, it would shoot you out into a place where you could surface. Seth said that his mind kept telling him to fight and swim, struggle and fight. He said this went on until he had no strength left. He gave up and let the current take him under. Sure enough, he was spun out of the pull of the whirlpool and surfaced in a safer place. Seth said that this was the same way addiction/ sin did us. We found ourselves in the middle of this spiritual whirlpool that was sucking us down to our death. It isn't until we give up, that we are able to break free of the pull and certain death that await us. 

As I sat there listening and following along in my Bible, I suddenly realized that I was no longer tired or empty. Hanging out with those who came to VRC.......spending time in worship....having the Word taught....all had combined to fill me up. I guess the dessert came when we got to do a baptism. One of the young men who had been coming to VRC had been saved, and it was on his heart to be baptized. Always a special time for me. It was a good night.
I think I'll do it again next Saturday....

God on you...
mb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me too, man what a great night and what an awesome group I call Family. I was so tired coming in last night and so rejuvenated when I left. Mike and Vicki thanks for letting me be a part of the family. You guys have been a huge part of the reason I am where I am today. I am honored to be a part of your family.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...