Saturday, August 2, 2014

No "IF'S" In the Kingdom



It took God six days to create everything we see, touch, taste, smell and hear. Granted, He could have done it all in a nano-second. He chose to cover six days. But the bottom line is, creation was a process. It was the ultimate definition of chaos. Chaos to the max. Planets that were formless and empty, void of any purpose at all were spoken over by God and brought into alignment. Perfectly arranged around our sun, moving in sync so as not to collide with one another. Creation was a process.......not a single event.

Life is a  process, if we will let it be. It isn't an event. I know we celebrate the day of our birth, an event, but each year added is a series of events that, hopefully, aid in our growth and maturity as human beings. Same with God and His desires for us. Salvation is an event that leads to a process of growth. Step #1 is an event that leads to a process of growth and maturity as we learn who God truly is, and what He truly desires for us.

In this process of learning about ourselves and about God, we will find something very interesting. Jesus isn't into "What if".  In fact, I don't think He likes the word "IF". Mark Chapter 9 has a story of a father who brought his young son to be healed. Jesus was up on a mountain doing a "transfiguration" thing, having a little conversation with Moses and Elijah. His disciples were down below probably trying to act like Him. But they had run into a little trouble. A man had brought his son, who was demonized, to Jesus to be healed. He was looking for the "A" team and had run into the "C" team.  What I'm trying to say is that the disciples weren't having any success in dealing with the demon, or healing the boy from the suffering he was going through. Jesus comes down and interjects himself into the situation. The man approaches Jesus and says (Message Bible) "This has been going on ever since he was a little boy. Many times it (the demon) pitches him into fire or the river to do away with him. If you can do anything, do it. Have a heart and help us!" I love the reply Jesus gives the man...."If? There are no 'if's' among believers. Anything can happen."  No "If's" in the kingdom. With God all things are possible. My heart lines up with His heart and He gives me the desires of my heart when I pray. I saw something in this statement the other day that I had not caught before. God gives me the desires. It isn't that He gives me what I desire, because I can get off into some pretty stupid "desire-stuff". Missionary to the Bahama's.......A Rolls Royce so I can be an example of God's goodness to others.....A T.V. ministry so I can impact the world and get myself seen on T.V. and the list would go on and on. No! God plants the desires He wants me to have if I open myself up and allow Him to work in me. Why would I not desire that alone, realizing what a stinker I could be if I were left to run the show. I could couch anything in a religious covering and pass it off as being what God wants.

I think God wants us to expand our view and understanding of Him. To not limit Him with our unbelief. Like the father in the story from Mark 9, I cry out to God...."I believe! Help me with my doubts and unbelief!" Since life is a process and not an event, we all have areas concerning God that contain doubts and unbelief. We may not want to admit it, but they are there. Those are the very areas that God is desiring to work in to reveal Himself to us. I have no problem crying this prayer out to God..."I believe....help my unbelief".  Seems like this would be a healthy way to live.
Take the word "IF" out of your spiritual vocabulary when it comes to dealing with God, and with Him dealing with us.
Confess your doubts and fears and let Him have room to work in you.
Lay down your desires and let Him give you His desires.
You might be surprised what happens as the process of life with Him moves forward.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...