Friday, September 19, 2014

Addiction Runs On Fear



Psalm 23:4
..........I will fear no evil.........

Fear plays a major part in addiction and recovery.
We don't like to admit that statement.
We won't admit that statement.
But fear is a by product of not knowing God....
And not trusting God. One who is caught in the storm of addiction is very much aware of how powerless they have become. Such powerlessness invades every thought....every waking moment of every day. It brings on such hopelessness that the only thing a person can think about is the next high. At least in that place of being high, the individual doesn't have to think about anything at all. Once that person comes back to reality, the fear kicks in again. Fear that they won't have enough of whatever their drug of choice is. Fear that if they have to detox the pain will be unbearable. Fear becomes the fuel that drives a person back to the darkness.

Fear is also a part of human nature ( I believe I can make that statement).
I'm not excusing our fears....But I do believe that God understands it is part of our make up.
Why else, all through out the Bible, when an angel would appear suddenly, would their first words usually be..."Do not be afraid...Do not fear?" In other words....when the fear comes, for whatever reason, our first instinct should be to turn to God. Jesus told His disciples "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me."

I like the passage from the 23rd Psalm....
It talks about a location....the valley of the shadow of death.
Valley's are depressions in the contour of the land, usually deep areas that lie between two mountains. Here, in the 23rd Psalm,  we have a valley that is located in a shadow. Double whammy! Not only is it a dark place.....but the darkness is because of death. To be honest with you, doesn't death cast a dark shadow over everything we do...everywhere we go? Death is the final destination that lays claim to every human. But the shadow...the reminder of it stretches across the horizon. We walk in that shadow, but like King David, I want to be able to proclaim that "I will fear no evil".  David makes a statement concerning his future....the "I Will" part. He didn't say "I use to not fear"...or...."I'm not fearing today..." He clearly states his state of mine and heart and his conviction that God is who God claims He is. By trusting in God, David can declare with all confidence that he (David) will not fear these dark shadows that lie across the path of righteousness that God has placed him on. Why? Because the presence and protection of God is always there to drive away the emotions and mental images that come to us when fear tries to lay hold of us.

David goes on to say, "I will fear no evil. for You (God) are with me.
The presence of God is always with us. We may not always be aware of Him. We may not think much about it, but such doesn't mean it is any less true. God is there with me. He is not a silent bystander. He is not passive presence. His is one that is always guiding me through my day. This is why in recovery you will here the statement "One day at a time".
(1.) That's all the time we are given....just today.
(2)  Take care of whatever comes at us today as we travel this journey.
(3) Realize that our Higher POWER Jesus is there to take us through whatever happens.

I can do 24 hours.
I don't know what tomorrow may hold, but I can do today.
So, today I choose to turn will and life over to His care.
Turn will and life over and simply follow Him.

God on you..
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...