Monday, September 29, 2014

Bynum Always Follows Bentley--Alphabetically and Spiritually


Psalm 133:1
Behold, how good and how pleasant is it for brethren to dwell together in unity....

To me, this picture speaks volumes.
It speaks of a truth and a commitment that has existed since 1968.
Bynum always follows Bentley.
Alphabetically....
And spiritually.

Jim in front...
Me in back....
As it should be.

Jim in front...
Me behind, just like the first time we met in homeroom our senior year in high school.

Now don't get me wrong in what I'm saying.
I say these things from a heart of love for this guy.

It was because of him that I'm even a pastor. He saw the gifting on me and asked me if I had ever considered being ordained.
God lead me into a completely different part of the kingdom than where Jim was. Together we are able to minister to a broader range of people.

No matter where we may find ourselves, Bynum will always follow Bentley.

Both of us have always had these insecurities about ourselves, and even though countless people have spoken some really nice words about us....we don't always see ourselves as others do. While some may consider being insecure a bad thing...I believe it has kept us in a place where God can use us. It has kept us transparent and honest about our own lives. We haven't found the need to promote what we do or place ourselves up on a level of some kind of spiritual giants. We are two guys who are crazy enough to believe what John Wimber taught..."Everyone gets to play!" Everyone gets to participate in the kingdom business of our Father. Because of that belief, we want others to find out for themselves how this can impact and change their life.

I was privy to something Saturday night at our reunion that speaks to the heart of Jim.
He came to me asking about one of our classmates who is struggling with physical disabilities. Jim was simply doing what Jim does........listening for God and then following Him. Before I knew it, there in the middle of all the hub-bub of the reunion, Jim had put together a ministry team and prayer was going on for our classmate. As I stood there with the others, praying and watching, I couldn't help but think to myself, "No one else would have ever thought to do this...but Jim did." why? Because he is always about the Father's business. God showed up and there was a level of relief for the one we were praying for. I'm pretty sure that the majority of the folks in that room had no idea, or were even aware that this took place. But isn't that the way it is suppose to happen? 

As we've gotten older, and hopefully a little wiser, we've also become comfortable in our own skin. I do believe that we both are on the same page when it comes to being about the business of our Father. Make Disciples. Train up those who will fall passionately in love with God, and be willing to go, do and say whatever they hear God speak to them.

Like I said at the first of this post....
Bynum always follows Bentley.....
And I wouldn't want it any other way.

God on you...
mb


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was overcome by the fellowship that was going on in the meeting center between classmates. I was there in spirit but it was starting to take a toll on my body. Jim felt this; knew this or was still listening to God's quiet voice among the chatter around him and he touched me. My muscles began to relax and my pain decreased. It was like he needed "his second". I felt the trembling through his arms and hands and he called for you. I knew that I would probably be incapacitated on Monday but I awakened at 3:00 am this morning with very little pain and my muscles still relaxed. Thank God and thank two men who listen to that small quiet voice.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...