Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Go




I say that I love you....
But do I?
Do I really mean those words....
Or is it just a religious game I've learned to play?
You know....
Say the right thing...
Give off the right impression....
Have the correct image....

I tell others with a loud voice
that I would follow You wherever You would go...
Proclaim Your love to the ends of the earth...
But would I?
Would I uproot family and take them?
Would I leave all I know...
All I am comfortable with...
To go where you said go?

I've tried to do this over the years..
I've answered every call you've placed on me...
Maybe not as fast as You would have liked..
But I did eventually.
I know...
You had to drag me, at times, kicking and screaming...
But I do go.
Your grace and mercy far exceeded my childishness
when it came to changes...
new seasons...
different times...
You were faithful even when I wasn't.

The words still ring loud and true in my heart...
"Go ye into all the world"
But did you really mean it?
I mean the "all the world" part?
And were you talking to me...
or was I just an observer to a conversation
that took place on a hill outside of Jerusalem?

I know that, in my heart, You were talking to Your disciples.
But you did put the conversation into Scripture, didn't You?

I may be wrong, but somehow I feel that
"All the world" is meant for everyone who follows You.
But "all the world" also means that You call the shots..
My "All the world" may be different from someone else.

"All the world" may mean next door...
or across town.
It may involve a sub culture of specific people.
Like a call to minister to those in addiction....
or those trapped in human trafficking.
"All the world" may mean the lady who checks you out at the grocery store...
Or it could mean the Middle Eastern countries.

No matter which...
The call is constant...
The call is now...
The call is for everyone who lays claim to being a follower of Jesus.

If You say "Go."
We will go..
Can we do any less?


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...