Sunday, September 7, 2014

The JUDE Generation



Really good night at VRC. I've been feeling this urgency in my heart and mind for some time now. Haven't been able to define it or give language as to why I was feeling it. Not sure that I can now, but I have been shown something as to where we are headed.

God is using this next season to define not just those who make up VRC, but the whole community of recovery disciples as being a part of a JUDE generation. I've read the book of Jude many times, but never saw the connection between the life of someone in recovery and the 12th step of the Twelve Steps.


Verse 1 - Speaks of those who have been called. Specifically those who have answered the invitation to this new life outside the bondage of addiction. In my estimation, everyone is called, as seen in John 12:32 ( Jesus speaking - "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw ALL people to myself") .
Verse 1 goes on to speak of being separated, or sanctified, by God the Father. Just as the Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 1 about himself being separated TO the gospel. When God separates us, it isn't as much from something, like addiction, as it is TO something. As I've said many times...."It does not work when you're running from something, such as your addiction, if you aren't running toward something, like recovery." 

So we see a people who are called.
A people who are set apart by God the Father.
And are now KEPT or PRESERVED in Jesus Christ. In other words, we become the living, breathing, walking around evidence that Jesus is who He claims to be and that His death and resurrection has created a new type of being who can live in the world, yet not be of this world.

Verse 3 tells us we are to contend earnestly for the faith. To contend---to fight----to protect---to exercise and use the faith that God has entrusted to each of us. Faith that is more than a religious term or phrase. Faith that is more than pretty words on a sunset picture. Truth be known...I'm not going to fight or contend for anything that I don't find value in. We have to realize the power of faith and the incredible privilege that God has given to us to possess such an attribute as faith. Faith has to have legs if it is going to do any good. Faith has to be used and extended toward Jesus if it is going to move us from where we are into a new dimension of living. Faith helps us to see beyond our current lot in life, and enables us to see God himself. 

Verse 20 - We are told that as beloved of God (Isn't that the most wonderful term you can think of? Being called THE BELOVED of God.) we are to build ourselves on our most holy faith. Here again, faith is the mortar/ cement that holds this whole relationship together. Faith binds me to God. Faith moves my feet and causes me to see things as God sees them. As far as I can make out, in this old life you are either building up.......or your tearing down. I think maybe Jude saw the same thing. That there isn't any Status Quo when it comes to living in Christ. Walking such a relationship is always about building up. It is always an upward movement. Philippians 3:14 - I press toward the goal for the prize of the UPWARD call of God In Christ Jesus. 

Now that we've addressed the inward change of this new way of living....
What's next?

We become the "rescue" generation.
We become the "Jude" generation.

Verse 22 - And on some have compassion, making a distinction. But others save them with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.   
Pulling people from the fires of hell.
Rescuing them from the all consuming fires of addiction.

Having a compassion and love for them, to the point that we can do nothing but rescue people.
This is what I believe is the call to Recovery Believer's from God.
You may say to yourself, "Well, hasn't that always been the call? Hasn't God always desired us to do live in this manner?" I guess I could say yes to your question. But I can't help if that is true, then why the urgency? Why does it burn on me to share this now? Could it be that this next season we will see an army.....a JUDE generation take this recovery rescue to a new level? I think maybe we will.

God on you....

mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...