Thursday, October 16, 2014

Don't Let Addiction Fill In The Blanks For You


Step # 12
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principals in all our affairs.

I love this picture of a name tag....
You know the kind that they hand out sometimes at functions you attend.
The peel-off-stick-to-your-shirt kind of name tag. The "name" spot is vacant, so they usually hand you a sharpie to fill in with your name.

Addiction has a way of filling in all the blanks in our life.
When we try to define ourselves, addiction does it for us.
Only trouble is, addiction isn't very nice when it comes to the name department. Why? Because it uses guilt and shame to motivate you to keep it alive through one more high. 

You don't mean to, but slowly the names start to be filled in.
"Liar"....
"Thief"....

"Crack head"....
"Meth Head"....
"Drunk"......

And the list grows larger and larger as the names start to pile up.
Funny part is...
You begin to believe it.
You even go as far as to reason in your mind..."This must be who I really am. If I was someone else, I would quit doing this." But you can't quit, can you?


In the beginning, all this Twelve Step stuff seems like a bunch of hokum.
But truth is, the steps are a pathway to freedom and life. A way that will rip that name tag off of you....destroy all those thoughts and names that addiction has labeled you with....and replace them with the truth of who God says you are. After all, doesn't the one who creates something have the honor and privilege of naming what they have created? Yes, they do. Well, God, being our creator, is the only one who gets to name you. His name that is chosen for you will always reflect His love and care for you.

Work the steps and you will find yourself at Step # 12.
The point at which you begin to give away what you have learned and observed in your own journey. You may be thinking, "I can't do that? I'm not good at telling someone else my life story. I'm not comfortable putting myself out there for others to see." Truth is, you are out there everyday aren't you? Don't you think people are watching you? Don't you think that some people know where you have come from (You addictive past) and are watching to see how you handle life? Sure they are. But even with all of this going on, you can begin to give away with baby steps.

One of my most favorite stories is told by a good friend of mine concerning his first A.A. meeting. He knew he needed to go and had made up his mind to do so, but in order to actually accomplish this task he got drunk. Showing up at the door, he made it through his first meeting. Today when he speaks of that first meeting, he will tell you..."I don't remember much that was said or that took place at that A.A. meeting. What I do remember is that someone met me at the door, handed me a cup of coffee and some cookies and said, 'Come sit with me'".

We give away by loving on those who can't even love themselves.

Work these steps and the names of the past will drop off and disappear, only to be replaced by new names. Ones that reflect the integrity and honor of a life that has been reclaimed by God.

Step # 12 -  James 5:19-20
My dear brothers and sisters, if anyone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back again, you can be sure that the one who brings that person back will save that sinner from death and bring about forgiveness of many sins.
God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...