Tuesday, November 25, 2014

It's All About Our Charcter


Romans 5:3-4
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance, and perseverance character, and character hope.

Webster's defines character as: The mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.
Synonyms for the word character are: personality, nature, disposition, temperament and mentality.


So what does this have to do with addiction or recovery? Everything. It is the goal and completed work that God brings to us when we apply the steps to our lives. It is an on going process that we cooperate with as God's Holy Spirit works inside to change our world view and the way we approach life. It is about our character.

Step # 6 states that "We were entirely ready for God to remove these defects of character." If I work this step by putting myself in God's hands, and really are ready to change...then would it not stand to reason that the way I have viewed life and based my decisions on how to live would be changed? I think so. Change of character.

I have seen way to many people get all up in "Jesus", so to speak. Thrill to be saved. Overcome with joy and gratitude for what Jesus had done for them and to them. But then never move beyond that point. Never place themselves upon His plans (Romans 12:1) and allow Him to do the deep work needed to start a new way of living. Change of character. If I'm not changed on the inside, then I put myself in a place of repeating the old choices and old ways of my past. Salvation is a complete break with our past. 

The apostle Paul writes in Philippians 2:12 - 13: Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. What does it mean "to work out" our salvation? Well, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I think it means we cooperate with God as He works in us to change us. To change our character. The way we think, determine what is right and then apply it to our lives. We fall under the influence and direction of the Holy Spirit.

Did you notice in the verse from Romans that it would be our problems and circumstances that would be part of the process in this change of our character. Our daily struggles will be the measuring stick to mark our growth. How we approach them. How we deal with them. All figure into the process of showing us God's mercy when it is applied to our lives and then played out through our behavior. God does not waste any event or situation. He is all about us understanding exactly who we are in Him. To see and comprehend our position in Christ as we face the world daily and deal with whatever comes our way. As John Wimber use to say......"I want to grow up before I grow any older". 
Well, John...........
Me too.

In other words, this journey in recovery......
This journey in a relationship with Jesus is all about change. 
Change me on the inside....
The outward behavior will follow.

Food for thought today.....
Let me know what you think.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...